[SOLVED] Question regarding adding a GPU to my system.

MamuMan

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
Hello.

I currently have a MSI b550m pro vhd wifi
5600g (not over clocked)
16gb ram 3200 mhz
500gb ssd

The 5600g works well but I would like to buy a 1650 ti to get better performance.

If I were to add a 1650 ti would I have to get rid of the 5600g drivers, or can I just leave them be?

This is my first computer ever built and I was on a tight budget so I went with an apu but I would like to upgrade even if it's not by much.

Solution
D
Don’t remove the drivers because if you ever pull your video card out at least your integrated video will still work properly. The two can coexist peacefully
If you buy and install the discrete GPU which is the GTX 1650 Ti, then you won't be needing or using the AMD Ryzen APU's graphics. So it's best to remove them and only install Nvidia drivers. Though, I don't think leaving them as it is will cause any serious stability/compatibility issues as well, IMO.

You don't have to remove the drivers for the APU. However, I do recommend downloading the drivers for the video card beforehand, unplug the computer from the internet while installing the card, keep the monitor plugged into the APU, then install the drivers. This is make sure that Windows doesn't try to do something like install a set of drivers from whatever Microsoft has on their servers or whatnot.

After installing the video card drivers, you can switch the display over to the video card. And also plug the computer back into the internet.

D

Deleted member 14196

Don’t remove the drivers because if you ever pull your video card out at least your integrated video will still work properly. The two can coexist peacefully

Solution