Question regarding adding an SSD to my computer that has a HDD.

Sep 24, 2020
Hey everyone, I just got a 240 gb SSD and I currently have a 1 TB HDD in my PC. My SSD dock is coming in tomorrow and I would like to put Windows on my SSD and making it my C: drive, however, I don't have a USB to put the Windows installation for when I swap my current HDD with the SSD, so my question is this: can I put my brand new SSD into the slot above my current HDD and manually install windows myself then power off my PC and swap the two so that the SSD becomes my C: drive or will that not work? Also, will my current HDD have the possibility of corrupting/deleting anything on it if I were to place it in a different hard drive slot after I put my SSD in? I wouldn't mind if everything got wiped off my current HDD but I still want the storage as 240gb is not much. Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
Hey everyone, I just got a 240 gb SSD and I currently have a 1 TB HDD in my PC. My SSD dock is coming in tomorrow and I would like to put Windows on my SSD and making it my C: drive, however, I don't have a USB to put the Windows installation for when I swap my current HDD with the SSD, so my question is this: can I put my brand new SSD into the slot above my current HDD and manually install windows myself then power off my PC and swap the two so that the SSD becomes my C: drive or will that not work? Also, will my current HDD have the possibility of corrupting/deleting anything on it if I were to place it in a different hard drive slot after I put my SSD in? I wouldn't mind if everything got wiped off my current HDD but I still want the storage as 240gb is not much. Thanks!
Are you planning to clone from the HDD to the SSD, or are you planning on a clean install on the SSD?

Sep 24, 2020
Can't you just clone the drive?
Are you planning to clone from the HDD to the SSD, or are you planning on a clean install on the SSD?
Hey thank you both for reaching out so quickly! I am not sure what cloning a drive is, but it seems like that might be something I should know. What would cloning a drive do and would that help me solve my question? EDIT: I did a little googling, it seems cloning will essentially move over files from my drives, however, can I just do Windows? My HDD is 1TB and has too much on it for my 240GB SSD. Also, if that is possible, I have to change my boot options in the BIOS to use my new drive correct?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020
Hey thank you both for reaching out so quickly! I am not sure what cloning a drive is, but it seems like that might be something I should know. What would cloning a drive do and would that help me solve my question?

Cloning A drive is basically using your original hard drive and copying everything to the new drive without having to re-install drivers or your operating system.

Sep 24, 2020
Cloning A drive is basically using your original hard drive and copying everything to the new drive without having to re-install drivers or your operating system.
I did a little googling, it seems cloning will essentially move over files from my drives, however, can I just do Windows? My HDD is 1TB and has too much on it for my 240GB SSD. Also, if that is possible, I have to change my boot options in the BIOS to use my new drive correct?

USAFRet

Titan
Hey thank you both for reaching out so quickly! I am not sure what cloning a drive is, but it seems like that might be something I should know. What would cloning a drive do and would that help me solve my question? EDIT: I did a little googling, it seems cloning will essentially move over files from my drives, however, can I just do Windows? My HDD is 1TB and has too much on it for my 240GB SSD.
No, you cannot move "just Windows".

How much space is consumed on your current HDD? Probably more than 200GB?

Sep 21, 2020
Hey thank you both for reaching out so quickly! I am not sure what cloning a drive is, but it seems like that might be something I should know. What would cloning a drive do and would that help me solve my question? EDIT: I did a little googling, it seems cloning will essentially move over files from my drives, however, can I just do Windows? My HDD is 1TB and has too much on it for my 240GB SSD. Also, if that is possible, I have to change my boot options in the BIOS to use my new drive correct?

It would be a good idea to run the operating system on the SSD as it will be way faster than the Hard Disk Drive

Sep 24, 2020
No, you cannot move "just Windows".

How much space is consumed on your current HDD? Probably more than 200GB?
Yes I have over 600GB on it, I wanted to use both but have just windows on the SSD and maybe a game or two on it that has longer loading times.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes I have over 600GB on it, I wanted to use both but have just windows on the SSD and maybe a game or two on it that has longer loading times.
So, issues...

You have far too much for a clone operation.
This would indicate a clean install on the new SSD> No problem. This then means a fresh install of all your other applications, mostly.

The OS on the old drive is a bit problematic.
Do you happen to have, or can borrow, another drive...maybe an external? This would simply be used to copy stuff from your old drive in preparation for wiping it completely.

USAFRet

Titan
For the clean install on the SSD, this:

Just read through...we're not at the point of you doing this yet.

Sep 24, 2020
So, issues...

You have far too much for a clone operation.
This would indicate a clean install on the new SSD> No problem. This then means a fresh install of all your other applications, mostly.

The OS on the old drive is a bit problematic.
Do you happen to have, or can borrow, another drive...maybe an external? This would simply be used to copy stuff from your old drive in preparation for wiping it completely.
I do not have a new drive, however, I don't mind completely deleting everything off my current drive as this is my gaming PC and nothing important is on it that I couldn't save simply emailing myself those small files. If I were to completely wipe my current HDD to have just windows on there, will that make my life easier?

USAFRet

Titan
I do not have a new drive, however, I don't mind completely deleting everything off my current drive as this is my gaming PC and nothing important is on it that I couldn't save simply emailing myself those small files. If I were to completely wipe my current HDD to have just windows on there, will that make my life easier?
Not really. If you remove everything except Windows, you might as well do a better job and just a clean install on the new SSD.

So, prepare...

Per the link above, create a WIn 10 USB or DVD to install with.
Make sure you've documented all your username/passwords
Download any drivers associated with your current hardware. Save to a USB.

Then, the install on the SSD. Have ONLY the SSD connected.
Reconnect the old drive later, and wipe it clean.

Sep 24, 2020
Not really. If you remove everything except Windows, you might as well do a better job and just a clean install on the new SSD.

So, prepare...

Per the link above, create a WIn 10 USB or DVD to install with.
Make sure you've documented all your username/passwords
Download any drivers associated with your current hardware. Save to a USB.

Then, the install on the SSD. Have ONLY the SSD connected.
Reconnect the old drive later, and wipe it clean.
Yes I began reading your link and think I will find/buy a USB to use instead. I have installed windows before on a USB as my old HDD (not my current on in my PC) got corrupted, when you say download any drivers associated with my hardware, are you talking about graphics card drivers? Also, when I connect my HDD back after windows 10 is installed on my SSD, why must I force wipe it? Is this to ensure that nothing goes wrong with it? Can't I simply delete all the windows files and drivers and whatnot? Also, Thank you for taking the time to help me with this issue!

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, GPU drivers, LAN driver for your motherboard, etc, etc.
You're starting from a completely blank slate.

The old drive? It is difficult to delete "only Windows". Multiple folders and partitions, some of them hidden.
Much easier to save what you want from it, and wipe the drive clean.
Reformat, and then copy the data back.

Sep 24, 2020
Yes, GPU drivers, LAN driver for your motherboard, etc, etc.
You're starting from a completely blank slate.

The old drive? It is difficult to delete "only Windows". Multiple folders and partitions, some of them hidden.
Much easier to save what you want from it, and wipe the drive clean.
Reformat, and then copy the data back.
Okay sounds good I think I have the answer to my question so thank you for that! I think I have one more question for you though, After my installation is complete on my SSD and I get everything installed and working, I connect my old HDD back in my PC, how do I go about wiping the HDD clean and what does reformatting it mean?

USAFRet

Titan
Okay sounds good I think I have the answer to my question so thank you for that! I think I have one more question for you though, After my installation is complete on my SSD and I get everything installed and working, I connect my old HDD back in my PC, how do I go about wiping the HDD clean and what does reformatting it mean?
Open Disk Management.
Identify the 1TB
Delete each partition, leaving one blank space.
Right click on that space, and New Simple Volume.
Follow the prompts after that.