[SOLVED] question regarding cloning a HDD

ryublue

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
so i am building a new PC (no parts yet) and one thing i want to do is clone my 2x 128gb SSD's raid-0 into a new M.2 1tb drive. my current mobo dosent support M.2 so i need to wait. but till then i have questions. like will i need to change ownership of the 2x SSD's before i install it in my new build (temporary, the raid setup im going to keep in my old PC and sell) can i use a simple cloning software and it will clone everything from the raid including my OS and programs? i also have a side 6tb storage i plan on installing after. but i assumed changing ownership on that should be simple.

Solution
Too many moving parts.

• Old PC + new PC. The new system needs its own fresh OS install. Not a clone from the old one, unless the parts are more or less identical.
  • Cloning a RAID 0 to a single drive can be problematic even within the same system.

USAFRet

Titan
Too many moving parts.

• Old PC + new PC. The new system needs its own fresh OS install. Not a clone from the old one, unless the parts are more or less identical.
  • Cloning a RAID 0 to a single drive can be problematic even within the same system.

Solution

ryublue

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
thank you. it seems cloning the raid0 is a bad idea. so ive decided on the fresh install. i will just have to move a few programs to my 2nd drive before moving it to the new pc. thanks for the info it was exactly the type of info i was looking for.

ryublue

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
With a new OS install, "programs" will need to be reinstalled anyway. No matter where they live.
damn ok. looks like i need to prepare myself a bit more. there was only a game i wanted to save cause of the custom settings i made. but the game comes with a settings backup option. i guess i can just use that and restore the settings after i reinstall the game. everything else can be DL and installed again. thanks