Question Question regarding CPU overheat problem (possibly)

Jun 2, 2020
Hi there!

I had this build for a while and my very first question about it would be if it's even compatible at this point. I have been seriously out of the loop when it comes to building PCs, and I assembled this one over the years based on all sorts of info I could gather on forums, and yet after I upgraded my old PC into the current configuration, it seems to be even slower. But first, here's the specs, copied from Speccy:

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD FX-6300 61 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (6-7-6-18)
Motherboard
ASRock 960GM-VGS3 FX (CPUSocket) 53 °C
Graphics
BenQ GL2460 (1920x1080@59Hz)
G206HQL (1600x900@60Hz)
4096MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 380 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) 56 °C
Storage
931GB Crucial CT1000BX500SSD1 ATA Device (SATA (SSD)) 41 °C
3726GB Western Digital WDC WD40EZRX-00SPEB0 ATA Device (SATA ) 44 °C
298GB SAMSUNG HD321KJ ATA Device (SATA ) 41 °C
11175GB Western Digital WD Elements 25A3 USB Device (USB (SATA) ) 46 °C
7452GB Seagate Backup+ Hub BK USB Device (USB (SATA) ) 44 °C
Optical Drives
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

So, the problem had a few ways of showing itself. First of all, any time I download anything that has a speed higher than 5MB/sec my PC goes into a freeze frenzy. Even if I have a youtube video playing, all it takes is a Steam game update and the video will freeze multiple times for the download's duration. Using the mouse and basically anything else during this is also impossible, as the whole PC seems to lock up, as if it can't keep up with the download speed, but once it's done, it "catches up" and everything's back to normal. At first I thought this was a faulty drive, but after testing it with the new SSD up there I got the same results.

Then there's the fact that certain games just became unplayable. The ones I can say are not working properly are mostly anything using Unreal 4. Halo Collection glitches out the audio and then stutters, so does Xenon Racer, but the latter I managed to fix with some configs that I found on some forums, I honestly can't remember how though. Still, after the audio was fine, the game stuttered all the same. The Solus Project, Tartarus and the new System Shock demo do the same without the audio glitches. Again, I went through all the usual fixes, but nothing changed anything. Changing graphics settings in the games yielded minimal to no difference unfortunately. CS:GO used to run smoothly and perfectly on the old hardware, but this new upgrade, I can't even play a single DM to the end without it going into stuttering frenzy again. What it does is whenever there's gunfight it locks up for a second or two and then goes on stuttering every few seconds. Again, it looks like it's unable to keep up with something, having to "catch up" every 3-5 seconds with its slowdowns. And the cherry on top as of late was Noita, which is a 2D indie game... Yeah, I know this game kind of still requires some serious processing power but the slowdown is massive. At least it doesn't stutter, it just slows down, so I guess it's somewhat playable, but it's very noticeable.

And then the newest one, I tried testing the CPU and planned to do it with the RAM too, but after using both Hot CPU and Prime95, my PC just shut down during each respective test and that's it. I noticed that I actually had to wait a bit to be able to start up the computer again after these. At least I can tell that P95 definitely okayed something called the 240 checks and started doing the 4k checks? Sorry, I'm not sure what these mean but that's what I can remember seeing anyways, or at least something similar.

So ultimately, my question is, is my build even compatible? I never really gave it too much thought when I assembled it a year ago or so, and it was built to use the mobo for the most you can use it for, as that's the only original part of it at this point. If it should be running okay, then what else could be the issue and is there any way to find out for sure? Do I really have a faulty CPU? As much as I don't feel like buying a new one, I'll find a way to do it, but I decided to ask people who actually know what they're doing as I don't want to spend for no reason on this again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and keep safe y'all.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS