[SOLVED] Question regarding CPU power connectors Gigabyte z690 Gaming X DDR4

I'm going to a friends' house tommorrow to help him assemble his new components, but there's one question remaining, I haven't been able to find a conclusive solution to before I go.

His new motherboard - Gigabyte z690 Gaming X DDR4 - comes with the usual 8-pin and 4-pin CPU powerconnectors.

My question is, is the 4-pin power connector optional the same way it is on my older z390 motherboard? Or is it mandatory to connect both the 8-pin and the 4-pin?

He is installing an i5 12600K CPU

I know his PSU (750W CoolerMaster) has an 8-pin CPU power connector, but I have not been able to look up his PSU (he doesn't know the modelnumber), to see if it comes with 2 x 4+4-pin CPU connectors.

(He IS planning on changing the PSU as well, but not for another couple of months)

I downloaded the motherboard manual from Gigabyte, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't state wheter the secondary 4-pin CPU powwer is optional or not

Thanks in advance for any help

Solution
Should be optional. 12600K is well below the maximum CPU for the socket, and you really only need the extra pins for high overclocking.

4 12V wires should be around 200W capacity before they start getting too warm for comfort. Adding in two more is just to keep the load spread out a little more.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Should be optional. 12600K is well below the maximum CPU for the socket, and you really only need the extra pins for high overclocking.

4 12V wires should be around 200W capacity before they start getting too warm for comfort. Adding in two more is just to keep the load spread out a little more.

Reactions: MadsModsat
Solution
Thanks a lot for your detaild reply, it is much appreciated.

I was expecting it to be optional, especially with an i5, but I'm not very familiar with 12th Gen motherboards yet, so it is very nice to have someone confirm it.

Thanks again :)

EDIT / UPDATE: If it is of interest to anyone who comes across this post, I can positively confirm the 4-pin secondary CPU power connector is indeed optional on the Gigabyt z690 Gaming X motherboard, and the i5 12600K runs perfectly fine with just the 8-pin CPU power connected plugged in.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022
I have a similar question. but with z690 gaming x DD5
I sew in the manual of the motherboard, that for updating the bios we should :
Connect the power cables to the 12V power connector (connect either one if there are two) and the main power connector
so, the question is, if during the update the bios (without logging the pc, but with flash) do we need to connect the additional 4 pin connector of the CPU?