Question regarding CPU temperature jump after fan change

watlulz

Commendable
May 23, 2016
Hi all,

I have a push/pull setup on a CPU cooler and had to change the 'pull' fan as it was making odd noises. The fan I have taken out is a Thermaltake TT-1225, and I have replaced it with a Corsair AF120 Quiet edition. The push fan is an Akasa Viper. While making this change I also swapped out my old graphics card (a radeon 5800 series) for a GTX 970.

Under load, after both of these changes the CPU cores have gone from a max temperature of 70C to a max of 100C, and the average has increased from 65C to 70C. The idle temperature has also increased from 42C to about 47C.

I have two questions:

1) Is this likely to be a problem?

2) Given the two fans I have, is it expected? As in, should I swap them both for something like the Corsair AF120 performance edition, or should I be using the static pressure version for one or both of the push or pull?

Cheers,
Sean

Solution
100°C seems to be rather high, but you didn't specify what load was applied. What happens if you remove the AF120 fan completely and why a case fan instead of an SP120 that's designed for coolers?

Saestear

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Hi,
for CPU coolers, definatelly SP120s. In my experience, push vs push/pull shouldn't really make that much of a difference (let alone what you report here! ). Just a thought: is the Akasa Viper spinning? Or a more general IT Crowd question: is it plugged in? It can happen that you unplug it and forget to plug it back, and I would expect such a huge temperature change with push fan off.

As for the GPU, what cooler designs are the cards? If the 5800 was "blower style" and the 970 is "open cooler" style, that there could also be a noticeable increase in temperatures in the whole case (but again, 30°C for the max temperature is a bit too much in that case too...). However having at least a case exhaust fan should keep the air flowing.

Cheers
S.

watlulz

Commendable
May 23, 2016

After some googling I didn't see anything concretely saying that the airflow or the static pressure versions would be better or worse than each other for a 'pull' fan. That may have been poor research on my behalf though, so if you have an article you could link to on the topic it would be great!

As for the load in question: playing CS:GO/Overwatch, so nothing too extreme really.

watlulz

Commendable
May 23, 2016

Both fans are in fact on (that was my first assumption as well ;))! As for the GPU, the 5870 and the GTX 970 have a similar cooling setup (except that the GTX 970 has two fans). The 970 seems to be running cooler than the 5870 was.

I've ordered two SP120 Performance Editions, to replace the Akira and the AF120 quiet edition. I'll see how that goes and report back.

Saestear

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Well, there are times when the fan clips are quite tough to move, so it could actually wiggle the cooler out of place, as GhislainG said. So if replacing the fans doesn't produce the required results, try to take the cooler completely off, replace thermal paste and put the cooler back on.

If the GPU's have similar cooling design, it shouldn't really make that much of a difference...especially when the 970 runs cooler. Do you also have a general case fans (intake & exhaust) installed?

watlulz

Commendable
May 23, 2016