Question regarding crossfire and sli

buklao0222

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I read a lot in the community that using crossfire/sli is not really a good idea. Concerns usually regard compatibility, sinlge gpu only games, lack of updates, ect.

I wanted to ask those with cf/sli if your choice in buying multi gpu was really worth it and if you are happy with it? I dont want to build the ultimate gaming pc, but a decent machine that would be able to play Diablo 3 or Crysis 2. And for those with suggestions and comments please help out!

I plan on getting 2 x HIS 1GB Radeon HD 6850 with a decent cpu (amd)

I've never had a CF rig but in the six years or so of running various SLi rigs I've only had a couple of games that didn't utilise SLi and they weren't AAA titles anyway. I only tend to play FPS games as well so you may find that there are some RPG's and MMORPG's that don't use dual cards.

nVidia tends to have better drivers when it comes to their SLI
if you are building a PC I would opt for a single more powerfull GPU than two weaker ones.
With dual graphic you need to get a beefy power supply and for future upgrade in a year you will have to sell both cards. You will not be able to simply add another "good" card to improve your performance

Whilst I think I know where you are coming from I have to disagree, by the time my 7900GT was lacking the 8800GT's were out and that's what they were replaced with and in the same way when the 8800GT's started to feel slow they were replaced with GTX560Ti's. So the way I see it, if done right SLi'd cards can last a good while before needing to be upgraded and at the same time give better performance than the flagship card of the time whilst costing less to purchase in the first place. In regards to the PSU again I think you've got it wrong as the PSU I'm currently using is several years old and is now running it's third SLi rig in a row and it's only a 620w unit, it's a good one yes but still only 620w.

TRENDING THREADS