[SOLVED] Question Regarding DRAM SSD

Hi all,

I was doing a bit of reading yesterday regarding DRAM and DRAM-less SSDs. It seems that manufacturers don't actually specify on their website whether they use DRAM or not so a teardown is the only way to know.

However, if I would to teardown my SSD at home. How do I tell if it's gor a DRAM chip? I couldn't find a reliable source that explained how to recognize them.

I also noticed there are other type of caching like SLC.

Is there anything I need to be aware of? Or can you provide sources where I can read more about this stuff? I'd really like to know more.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Check my spreadsheet for specific models (signature will lead you there eventually), otherwise usually you can tell by the controller. This might be listed on HD Sentinel or similar, you may also be able to determine the controller via the firmware revision in CrystalDiskInfo. There are tools to identify hardware for certain controllers but outside of that you can physically see the DRAM on the drive's PCB.
Check my spreadsheet for specific models (signature will lead you there eventually), otherwise usually you can tell by the controller. This might be listed on HD Sentinel or similar, you may also be able to determine the controller via the firmware revision in CrystalDiskInfo. There are tools to identify hardware for certain controllers but outside of that you can physically see the DRAM on the drive's PCB.

Reactions: julienruc
Solution
you may also be able to determine the controller via the firmware revision in CrystalDiskInfo. There are tools to identify hardware for certain controllers

Could you elaborate on that? Because it would be nice to be able to figure it out without having to purchase and tear the unit down.

So far, I've only been able to distinguish using PC Part Picker to verify if the unit has a Cache value, which means they've got a DRAM chip. And if there isn't a cache, at least try to opt for an SSD that uses SLC Caching instead of no caching at all. Though I think PCPP's list is incomplete so I'll have a check on yours.

PCPP isn't always right on that.

It's a simple matter of checking the firmware revision then searching it to see what controller uses that. The most common controllers are very obvious. If you can narrow it down to manufacturer, there are utilities you can use to check the drive details like controller and flash used with relatively good precision (nothing's perfect). This assuming it's not on my list already, although sometimes manufacturers switch it up. For example, the Silicon Power P34A80 was a Phison E12 forever...until recently when they switched it to a SMI SM2262EN.