Question regarding gtx 1060

Computer-noob1

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Hi, I recently ordered a gtx 1060 6gb for $165 total on Ebay. Well, unfortunately they sent me a 3gb model. I've applied for a refund and the seller offered a partial refund. I said I wanted a full return/refund and they agreed.

But now I'm wondering(because I really had my heart set on the 6gb model), is it really worth it? GPU's have dropped in price a lot recently. But is the 6gb model really worth the hasstle of returning and then rebuying for 3gb's more of VRAM?

I play games like Final Fantasy 15 on pc, a Ram hog. Is it worth it, or should I just take the partial refund offer and keep this card? I also was hoping to do some light DSR in games like Witcher 2 and a several other older games, not newer ones with DSR. I'm afraid the 3gb model won't do as good. I haven't tested it a ton, cuz I plan to return it. Thoughts?

P.S. I've owned the 6gb 1060 in the past, had to sell it 2 years ago. I really liked it. I just can't wrap my mind around settling for the 3gb, thinking it's gonna suck for current games. lol. But all the benchmarks show like a 10fps difference at 1080p max settings for current games. SO...I really don't know man. Should I keep the 3gb model and get the partial refund..

What about in the future going for the 1070 as well? Obviously trying to squeeze as much life out of my current setup as possible. Speaking of which, should I return the 1060 3gb model and buy the 1070 instead? I've wondered if it would bottlneck my system bad with my I5 4460 cpu, but most people seem to say it would be fine.

Edit: Oh, and of course here are my specs: Cpu- I5-4460
Windows 10
12gb Ram
Gtx 1060(3gb vs 6gb)

Solution
YES, totally worth. If you want a cheaper competitor to GTX 1060 6gb you can also try RX 580 8gb.

Curiously, how much is the partial refund? You know you can dispute this with Paypal/eBay because of the "unfortunately they set me 3gb.." That's misinformation/misleading product description! You should get the total paypal invoice + shipping refunded back!

If you have plans on upgrading your CPU. Motherboard, RAM to current gen then it won't be worth it to spend more on the 10XX series when the new RTX is pretty much out.

Computer-noob1

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

Hi, thanks for your answer. I don't know how much partial refund is. But I'm just stressing that if I return it, the seller might decide not to refund me at all.(trust issues on internet, plus seller hasn't been the most responsive)

I opened a dispute with Paypal(which I used to buy it), and I've also talked to the seller on Ebay. They haven't acknowledged the Paypal case at all, but did say on Ebay I could return it for a full refund. So I'm thinking I'll just keep the case open and return the GPU, then assuming I get my refund, I'll close the case.

I'm not sure if I should send them a message and be like "hey did you notice I opened a case for this." lol. But surely they know. I feel kind of bad for it, but I didn't realize exactly how it worked. And they weren't responding to my message about the wrong model gpu. Honestly, I wish I hadn't opened the case with Paypal so soon, because I didn't realize that Ebay would consider my return complete basically, when I opened a dispute with Paypal. Ebay has washed their hands of it, and it's all on Paypal now, should something go wrong.

So now it's all on Paypal, which will still fight for my refund if push comes to shove, but now I'm kind of responsible for the return shipping myself. But, that's small potatoes. But dammit, I just wanted my 6gb card! lol. Now it's a headache.

If the product description mislead to 6gb then it's not your fault and you shouldn't feel bad about it. eBay is just a site Paypal is the one who process your payment so there's nothing to worry about.

Solution

Computer-noob1

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

Cool. Yes, the product description CLEARLY said 6gb model. Plus, the box it came in was the 6gb box. Wasn't until I installed it and saw it was 3gb. Thanks I appreciate your response!