Question Regarding hardware in a pc.

Sep 6, 2018
hello all!

as the thread title says i have a few questions. i am looking into getting an HP Z240 SFF machine. i understand that this pc uses a proprietary hp psu however, with a modded 24 pin to 6 pin power adapter with the mod being made to the 6 pin connector i know that you could use a third part psu instead. my question is, with this pc being a SFF will these components fit into the case?

1. EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W
2. GTX 960 4GB

thanks!

p.s the thread i was referring to can be found here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3587126/change-power-supply-z240-workstation-standard-atx-psu.html

the adapter i was looking at can be found here with a customer on amazon stating that it could be used on the z240 and how to mod it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2NXSMYUUD8YYB/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B06XW7RWNH

Lutfij

Titan
1| No
YOcaxmiEDECLS5IAHQaMgA.c-r.jpg

2| No, half height cards only.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You would need a SFF power supply. And you can only use low-profile GPUs.

I'm a bit confused by the whole situation - going out and buying a pre-built SFF for the purpose of upgrading it is just about the least-efficient use of money possible.

I think a far better idea would be to talk about your goals, needs, and budget for this PC and starting over from scratch.

Sep 6, 2018

the pc was given to me from a buddy of mine. i didn't know that there were low profile gpu's available. if that's the case ill look into one as a more feasible option

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You said you were "looking into getting," which is very different from "was given to me." The advice was given based on the information you provided.

There are low-profile GPUs, but they also tend to be also be on the weaker side.

Sep 6, 2018

point taken lol ill rephrase. the z240 sff was given to me. im not looking to do anything too crazy with it, light gaming at most. what low profile gpu and power supply would you suggest? having the extra power couldn't hurt

Sep 6, 2018

thanks to everyone for helping me with all of this. would there happen to be a way to upgrade the psu without going the aftermarket route? just curious