Question regarding M.2 SSD with PCIe 3.0 x4 interface

puleva4ever

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
So I've been trying to figure this M.2 SSD thing out. I really want to install one in my system but there are a couple of questions that need answer first.

My MB: ASUS P9X79
WTB SSD: 970 EVO V-Nand NVME PCIE M.2 1TB

The first thing I saw is that my MB does not have a M.2 port. But I read that it can be installed with the help of an adapter for the PCIe 3.0 x4 as this it is the SSD's interface.

But here's where I get lost because my MB slots are the following:
2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (dual x16)
1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x8 mode)

What's with the x16 or x8 mode? Does this mean it is not supported?

Thank you!

puleva4ever

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

I want a M.2 because of the huge speed difference between the SATA SSD. From what I've read the M.2 uses the PCIe bus so why wouldn't it work as intended (booting)?

puleva4ever

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Thank you for clarifying this!

Do you know if there's any problem or speed loss if an adapter is used? Would I be able to boot from the SSD if it's in the PCIe port?

The difference is "huge" in benchmarks only.
In real life situations you can't tell the difference.

I've had my system on 850 evo. Now it's on 970 evo (850 was too small, had to upgrade). There is no perceivable difference in everyday usage.

puleva4ever

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

I play singleplayer games everyday, and I can confirm the difference between loading Fallout 4 with a HDD and a SSD is huge. I can't imagine the difference with more than 3 times the speed.

May I ask what was your everyday usage to think in prespective?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

IIRC the BIOS needs to contain NVMe drivers in able to boot from a PCIe SSD. If your motherboard came out before PCIe SSDs were really a thing (i.e. before M.2 started becoming popular), it's doubtful the manufacturer would have included those drivers and probably never bothered to release a new BIOS to support it later on.