Question regarding Memory Management

web_oracle

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Hello peeps! According to my windows task manager, my total memory is 1021 MB. My cached memory is 603 MB and free memory is usually in the 10 MB region. My memory in use is 544 MB. Where did the rest of the 500 MB go? Is vista really this memory hungry? My new laptop is just a week old with nothing but only the pre-loaded stuffs.

Solution
There are many posts on this throughout the forum. It has to do with Vista allocating memory for often used apps for faster access, how your hardware recognizes memory and the extra Vista services. Most often, the memory is not actually being used but allocated for performance reasons - otherwise you would be getting memory usage errors.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
There are many posts on this throughout the forum. It has to do with Vista allocating memory for often used apps for faster access, how your hardware recognizes memory and the extra Vista services. Most often, the memory is not actually being used but allocated for performance reasons - otherwise you would be getting memory usage errors.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS