[SOLVED] Question regarding modem log

mtracy1991

Reputable
Hello,

I upgraded my internet from 500 mbps to 1 gbps and had my ISP, optimum online, configure it last night. I am getting requested time outs and a lot of high MS while im connected to the router hard wired only within 5 feet away. See the logs below: After the reset with my ISP on their end, I noticed the following:
https://ibb.co/3dzNCFj

I had the ISP come out and replace wiring and everything with my old setup and was experiencing a few issues. But this is what I'm dealing with currently.

Any ideas?

Solution
Generally your levels look good. The sync errors are a problem but it depends how often you get them. They do not cause packet loss here and there they tend to drop the whole internet connection for a couple seconds.
The other errors are pretty standard ones you see all the time.

The connection to the cable company actually looks really good. When you get packet loss you will see lots or correctable and uncorrectable errors and your show zero. It is normal to see a small number, generally when you can see it with a ping command these number change a lot.

The ISP is likely going to say everything looks good on the modem. They will blame the testing site or other stuff if they can get away with it.

What you want to do is...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

I upgraded my internet from 500 mbps to 1 gbps and had my ISP, optimum online, configure it last night. I am getting requested time outs and a lot of high MS while im connected to the router hard wired only within 5 feet away. See the logs below: After the reset with my ISP on their end, I noticed the following:
https://ibb.co/3dzNCFj

I had the ISP come out and replace wiring and everything with my old setup and was experiencing a few issues. But this is what I'm dealing with currently.

Any ideas?
You want to look at the status page on your modem. What are the power levels and the SNR numbers?

Generally your levels look good. The sync errors are a problem but it depends how often you get them. They do not cause packet loss here and there they tend to drop the whole internet connection for a couple seconds.
The other errors are pretty standard ones you see all the time.

The connection to the cable company actually looks really good. When you get packet loss you will see lots or correctable and uncorrectable errors and your show zero. It is normal to see a small number, generally when you can see it with a ping command these number change a lot.

The ISP is likely going to say everything looks good on the modem. They will blame the testing site or other stuff if they can get away with it.

What you want to do is run very simple test. Run tracert to 8.8.8.8. Next leave a constant ping run to your router ip (hot1) and the ISP first router (hop 2). You want to show them you have no loss in your house but you see loss when it goes to the ISP router. If you see no loss in hop 1 or hop 2 it gets messy. You can try hops farther into the trace to see which is the cause but the father you get from your house the less likely you can get it fixed. It might be in another ISP

Solution