Question Question regarding my i7 9700k Overclock.

xFazzz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Hi everyone, I'm not the most comfortable around building pc's so I recently purchased one from cyberpowerpc.

As far as I'm aware, the i7 9700k by default runs at 3.6Ghz with a max boost clock of 4.9ghz.

My CPU came overclocked out of the box at 4.3ghz.

Comparing to videos on YouTube, people who have not overclocked the 9700k are getting Speeds of 4.6Ghz when gaming, however mine is constantly locked at 4.3Ghz due to the overclock.

My question is, would I be better removing the overclock, and how would I go about doing so as I'm really not the most confident when it comes to this kind of thing.

My motherboard is an msi z370 a pro incase that information is needed.

Thanks

You should be able to easily remove the overclock and/or check the settings in the BIOS.

There should be a setting under CPU settings called CPU Ratio. If it is manual overclocked it will say 43 which equals 4.3GHz. Change it to Auto by typing Auto in the field.

*Btw, you are right in that a manual OC 4.3GHz would limit you to 4.3Ghz; whereas stock settings would allow higher boost clocks.

xFazzz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
You should be able to easily remove the overclock and/or check the settings in the BIOS.

There should be a setting under CPU settings called CPU Ratio. If it is manual overclocked it will say 43 which equals 4.3GHz. Change it to Auto by typing Auto in the field.

*Btw, you are right in that a manual OC 4.3GHz would limit you to 4.3Ghz; whereas stock settings would allow higher boost clocks.

Thanks for the reply, I contacted cyberpower earlier and they told me to change the profile in the BIOS to profile 1 which didnt have the overclock. I did this and when the PC rebooted the system locked up on the motherboard boot screen.

I changed back to the OC profile, and when the PC rebooted it tried to repair windows and failed. The PC then automatically rebooted and is now working fine again with the OC.

Should I try doing what you said above on the OC profile? Also would I have to change any voltage settings back to auto to?

Thanks.

xFazzz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Tried doing what you said, PC got to the windows login screen and completely froze. Rebooted and wouldn't get past the mobo boot screen. This was changing Cpu ratio back to Auto.

Reverted back to the OC profile and again, when restarting it tried to repair windows and failed. Then rebooted straight into windows and is now running again fine.

I know in reality 0.3Ghz isnt gonna make a huge difference, however I'd like to try and remove the overclock. Also I'm curious as to why the PC will not boot when I try and remove the OC. But with the amount of crashes its making me nervous to try. Any help would be great.

Last edited:
Tried doing what you said, PC got to the windows login screen and completely froze. Rebooted and wouldn't get past the mobo boot screen. This was changing Cpu ratio back to Auto.

Reverted back to the OC profile and again, when restarting it tried to repair windows and failed. Then rebooted straight into windows and is now running again fine.

I know in reality 0.3Ghz isnt gonna make a huge difference, however I'd like to try and remove the overclock. Also I'm curious as to why the PC will not boot when I try and remove the OC. But with the amount of crashes its making me nervous to try. Any help would be great.
Check the vcore voltage in BIOS and ensure it is on auto as well. It may not be getting enough voltage to boot.

xFazzz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Boards slightly vary on how to. For example on my board, I can hit f5 while in bios or go to the exit tab and it gives me a few options. That being one of them.
I've messaged their support so will wait for a response on Monday. I'll see what they say first, otherwise I will try what you suggested. Would you mind if I contact you via PM if needed when/if I do this?

TRENDING THREADS