Question regarding my PSU + GPU

fadegaming001

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017
Solution
Yes, you plug the same PCIE 6-pin connector on the MSI GTX 1070's 6-pin socket; you plug the same PCIE 8-pin connector on the MSI GTX 1070's 8-pin socket. Just like before.
You do have the pins to support the new card. If your power supply is more than 3-4 years old though, I might consider upgrading it anyways. You can get a very solid unit for $70-80 with a 5-10 year warranty that you can be confident in for a long time.

fadegaming001

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017

That's what I thought. I just wanted extra confirmation since i've only built 2 pcs in the past an technology changes so much in a few years.

fadegaming001

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017

I plan on building a new computer in a month or two when i get the cash I just wanted a new GPU to play PUBG on until then!
The idea is wait til cyber monday and try and get everything i need then since that could mean significant savings for me.

Cyber monday usually isn't great for most computer components unless you live near a microcenter in my experience. Places like amazon and newegg will give you decent deals on SSDs/HDDs, maybe monitors, some cases, and some peripherals, but when it comes to CPU/mobo/RAM/PSU their prices are pretty much set. I'm not saying don't buy on cyber monday, good deals do exist. However, don't rush to save money to try to meet that deadline if you're buying major components. It's probably not gonna be worth it. Honestly if you're on a 2600k I probably still wouldn't upgrade. If you're on an i7 920 or a 2500k then maybe your system is starting to show its age. If you have anything sandy bridge or newer and a GTX 1070, PUBG will run fine.

fadegaming001

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017

Yeah i'm on a i5 2500k Sandy Bridge OC'd Stable to 4.4 GHZ with good temps (under 64 c)

If I was in your case I'd wait for Coffee Lake, any i5 you buy wouldn't be worth the upgrade and buying a 4C/8T i7 would be odd when Kaby Lake is this old and the next gens are supposed to be 6C/12T. However, I really only play CS and PUBG so if you play a lot of BF1 and new AAA titles then maybe your situation is different.

fadegaming001

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017

Yeah mostly just league and pubg...

I can run pubg 1920x 1080 in full scale but i have to set the Graphics to low/very low. I'm hoping a new graphics card will increase the performance and my cpu won't fk me... going to be disappointed if i turn the graphics up on the new GPU and it looks great but I get tons of lag. lol

fadegaming001

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017

I find it hard to differentiate the environment from players because my graphics are so shitty. I got to 2nd last night and died because I couldn't make out the guy.