[SOLVED] Question regarding new RAM install

Apr 28, 2021
Just recieved a new PC for my son..

ROG Strix GA15DH, AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, , 8GB DDR4 RAM, GA15DH-BS562

It came with one 8GB RAM stick, and when I tested the speed through the command line with "wmic memorychip get speed" it came back reading 3200

I installed a new stick I ordered : "Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 Optimized for AMD Ryzen"

When I installed the new stick in the second slot, and ran the same get speed command, it came back showing two 2666 speeds

I removed both and put in just the new Corsair stick in to the main slot and ran the same test and it came back at 3200

both sticks will show 3200 individually, but 2666 together, regardless of which slots I put them in

I read online the 3600X supports up to 128 GiB of dual-channel DDR4-3200 memory.

any thoughts?

Last edited:
Solution
No worries.

So, the difference in ram speeds, specially for Ryzen is important. The difference between 2666mhz and 3200mhz for Ryzen often means an uplift in performance ranging from 5%-20% depending on the task. But specially for gaming it can give a real boost for FPS. However, that does also depend a little on the GPU. But still most task will benefit from faster ram.

That bonus from faster ram tends to ease of after 3200mhz, as the performance increase lessens.

In an absolute ideal world, 3600mhz is optimal for the 3600x as it works on a 1:1 ratio with the infinity fabric (mem clock) at 1800mhz (double data rate - 3600).

IMO, yes, it's worth the effort, but unless you're after synthetic benchmark scores and super fast frame...
Hey there,

The issue is mostly likely caused by mixing ram modules. Are they both Corsair? Anyway, long story short - without buying a matched kit, mixing ram with different manufacturers, timings and voltage can lead to issues with compatibility.

You can use CPU-z to easily determine what the specs, timings, voltage etc are. Download it and open the Memory and SPD tabs.

It may be that because the DIMMS are different, that it is defaulting to the 2666mhz speed, despite both DIMMS being rated for 3200mhz.

If you are happy to play around in the bios, it may be possible to tinker and get them to work together at rated speed. Otherwise return the one you bought, buy a matched 2 x 8 gb kit, and then sell your original 8gb ram to offset the cost.

The advice is always buy a matched kit, as they have been tested to work together.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021
OK, thank you. I originally ordered 2 8gb sticks thinking computer would come with 2 4gb, returned those and just bot the one since already had 1 8gb stick.

my son seems happy enough... is there a big difference in 2@3200 vs 2@2666 ... enough to make it worth the effort?

No worries.

So, the difference in ram speeds, specially for Ryzen is important. The difference between 2666mhz and 3200mhz for Ryzen often means an uplift in performance ranging from 5%-20% depending on the task. But specially for gaming it can give a real boost for FPS. However, that does also depend a little on the GPU. But still most task will benefit from faster ram.

That bonus from faster ram tends to ease of after 3200mhz, as the performance increase lessens.

In an absolute ideal world, 3600mhz is optimal for the 3600x as it works on a 1:1 ratio with the infinity fabric (mem clock) at 1800mhz (double data rate - 3600).

IMO, yes, it's worth the effort, but unless you're after synthetic benchmark scores and super fast frame rates for competitive gaming, then will you really notice the difference between 100 fps in a game or 115 fps? Probably not. Some will say they can see the difference, but the human eye cannot see the difference very well.

Solution
Apr 28, 2021
I think I will just do it, I assume Amazon will return an opened RAM box. He is just 10, but saved a long time for this computer, so I want it the best possible. He just mostly plays Fortnite, but yes.... FPS and Ping rate is all I hear about from him :)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead