Question regarding Q9550 overclock past 3.5GHz

Neurotypical

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
I'm trying to get some more life out of my nephews old Q9550 system. The specs are as follows -

CPU : Q9550 - 8.5x412 @ 3.5GHz 1.184V
Ram : OCZ 6400 @ 1066 1.888V
MB : Gigabyte ep43-ds3l
GPU : Sapphire 4870 1GB
PSU : CX 600w Corsair

I have it stable at 3.5GHz after 12 hours prime95 test and the cpu hits a max temp of 58 C.

This is adequate since he had it at stock settings before but I don't know why the computer won't POST if I set the multiplier past 412. It just restarts and defaults back to stock speeds. My temps are fine and it's running very stable at low voltage (low IMO). If I put the multiplier up past 8.5 x 415 the computer refused to boot. I know the cpu can handle upwards of 1.3V according to a lot of post I've found on the forums so I'm at a loss as to what is causing the problem. I've tried taking the 4870 and putting in a Geforce 210 (which I use in my kitchen PC for the hdmi port) since it uses significantly less power but this had no effect.

I'm thinking it's a memory clock issue however I have it at 1066 up from 800 and tests have all showed the system is stable. I'm at a loss here, if anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Solution
are you sure you have isolated ram clocks, as FSB overclocking affects them, as pcie also. it can certainly lead into instabilities. 8.5(multiplier) x 415 (Front Side Bus) = frequency. have a pick here , it will defenately be of a help!

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-29-core-overclocking-guide

there isnt any practical gain aiming for an even higher clock! 3.5ghz is very good which allows to make good use of a gpu upgrade! i think this is a good time for a present to your nephew! :)
are you sure you have isolated ram clocks, as FSB overclocking affects them, as pcie also. it can certainly lead into instabilities. 8.5(multiplier) x 415 (Front Side Bus) = frequency. have a pick here , it will defenately be of a help!

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-29-core-overclocking-guide

there isnt any practical gain aiming for an even higher clock! 3.5ghz is very good which allows to make good use of a gpu upgrade! i think this is a good time for a present to your nephew! :)

Solution

Neurotypical

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
I had changed the ram to handle 2.6 x FSB and it's OCZ reaper which i know can handle up to 2.2V so I thought I could get more out of the cpu if I clocked the ram a bit higher. I think this is probably my problem. At 3.5GHz I think he'll get some more life out of the system before he needs to upgrade. I picked up two EVGA SSC GTX 960 cards for $180 Canadian and am running two in my own rig and am going to give him one for his birthday.

I have a feeling that the gpu is a little more than his current system can utilize to it's full potential but at least he'll have a decent card to use for now and can keep it once he upgrades the rest of his components.