[SOLVED] Question regarding RAM speeds on 3rd and 5th gen Ryzen

Pestindahouse

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
Hello! Recently a friend of mine has been experiencing crashes on his pc, during certain tasks. His most notable and trackable one was a CoD Cold War crash which pointed him to memory errors. Running memtest86, he got 900+ errors on his Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600MHz kit (4x8GB). He's also running a 5800x and an Asus Prime X570.
We tried swapping memory kits, with mine, a 3200MHz Corsair LPX kit, and he since experienced no crashes whatsoever and no errors in Memtest86. To mention is the fact that he is running default settings in bios, bar the DOCP for ram.
Also, im currently running his ram kit in my build, with a stock 3900x (with a -0.1V offset on voltage) and a B550 Aorus Elite motherboard, and im having no issues whatsoever with 3600MHz RAM. (memtest gave me 1 single error, and i bumped up ram voltage by 0.1, since then 0 errors).
Isnt 5000 Ryzen supposed to be less picky to higher ram speeds than 3rd gen ryzen?
Going forward, what steps should we take? He wants to run his RAM dialed back to 3200, but since he paid for 3600, i think he should take advantage of that. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hello! Recently a friend of mine has been experiencing crashes on his pc, during certain tasks. His most notable and trackable one was a CoD Cold War crash which pointed him to memory errors. Running memtest86, he got 900+ errors on his Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600MHz kit (4x8GB). He's also running a 5800x and an Asus Prime X570.
We tried swapping memory kits, with mine, a 3200MHz Corsair LPX kit, and he since experienced no crashes whatsoever and no errors in Memtest86. To mention is the fact that he is running default settings in bios, bar the DOCP for ram.
Also, im currently running his ram kit in my build, with a stock 3900x (with a -0.1V offset on voltage) and a B550 Aorus Elite motherboard, and im having no issues whatsoever...
Also, im currently running his ram kit in my build, with a stock 3900x (with a -0.1V offset on voltage) and a B550 Aorus Elite motherboard, and im having no issues whatsoever with 3600MHz RAM. (memtest gave me 1 single error, and i bumped up ram voltage by 0.1, since then 0 errors).
Isnt 5000 Ryzen supposed to be less picky to higher ram speeds than 3rd gen ryzen?
Going forward, what steps should we take? He wants to run his RAM dialed back to 3200, but since he paid for 3600, i think he should take advantage of that. Thanks in advance!
No, it's not Ryzen that's "picky" but BIOS may be. Did you update BIOS, most of those updates are just for memory stability,

Solution