Question regarding "real" speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zimmit16

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Alrighty I want to get into music editing and production but im running some trash for my audio set up. I've seen some posts regarding "real" speakers. Already having a computer build i just need my audio junk. I know i need a sound card, my question is what comes next and i'd like to know a preferred soundcard as well. SO talk to me as if i am a complete newb. Which i am... how can i set up my pc for some nice audio at the lowest price..

Keep in mind i want REAL speakers.. not any logitech junk.. and a good soundcard.. my budget is pretty small but i can purchase things at different times.. Thanks in advance. I need to know every piece of equipment i need and if you want to go the extra mile and explain why.. that'd be great as well.

G

I guess by real you mean hi-fi or monitoring standard. You either need self powered studio monitors -- usually from musician type stores. Or as I do when ripping vinyl, use an old domestic amp or receiver and some hifi bookshelf speakers.

These can be picked up very cheap at flea markets etc -- the 1970-80s Japanese amps are remarkably durable compared to modern stuff and speakers can last forever unless abused.

WmAx

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
For a near field speaker set, look for used mint condition KRK Rokit 5 active speakers. You want teh G1, not the G2, which is cheapened. Later on, get a good active 2 way xover, like a Behringer CX2310, and a pair of decent quality subs, so you can relieve the KRKs of bass and get proper low distortion extension. I have analyzed the KRK, and the G1 Rokit 5 is one hell of a good value. Very good build quality and terrific measured performance. A very nuetral/transparent unit - probably the best I have come across for this price range and I expect it to normally cost more to get this level of quality/performance.

Over-all response:
frequencyresponse_onaxis_spliced.gif

Off - Axis, Horizontal, Incremental, Frequency Response
frequencyresponse_offaxis_0-90d.gif

Waterfall/CSD(time scale and effective dB signal to floor resolution, set to match standard Stereophile scale of same measurement, for useful reference to their database)
waterfall.gif

1 Meter, On-Axis, Distortion vs. SPL, incremental
distortion_vs_spl_1m.gif

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.