Question Question regarding Ryzen 3000 in a B450 motherboard

coolz202

Reputable
May 6, 2017
My friend is building his new PC, and he's waiting for the new Ryzen CPU's to launch, and he's going to buy the 3700X when it comes out. He decided he didn't want to buy one of the new X570 boards, and he opted for a B450 (MSI B450 Pro-VDH Plus), but I have one concern with this. I'm worried he won't be able to boot up the computer at all, since as far as I know the board requires a BIOS update to support Ryzen 3000, but he doesn't have any other AM4 chips. I'm posting to see if anyone can confirm whether he's gonna be fine the way it will be, or will he be forced to buy a cheap APU chip?

Many thanks!

Jun 30, 2019
My friend is building his new PC, and he's waiting for the new Ryzen CPU's to launch, and he's going to buy the 3700X when it comes out. He decided he didn't want to buy one of the new X570 boards, and he opted for a B450 (MSI B450 Pro-VDH Plus), but I have one concern with this. I'm worried he won't be able to boot up the computer at all, since as far as I know the board requires a BIOS update to support Ryzen 3000, but he doesn't have any other AM4 chips. I'm posting to see if anyone can confirm whether he's gonna be fine the way it will be, or will he be forced to buy a cheap APU chip?

Many thanks!
Your friend is gonna need to update his BIOS i think, but no need for another am4 cpu if his mobo has a flash bios button (Highly probable if it's an msi mobo).

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
That's the only reason i took the msi b450 gaming plus(tomahawk was sold out T_T)as it has a bios flash back button.But your friend shuld be able to go into a local pc shop and ask them to flash it for him.Otherwise he will have to get hold of a second gen cpu to flash the bios.

There was a similar dilemma with the 300 series boards when the 2000 Ryzen series came out. There were several free options, including requesting a loaner CPU from AMD to flash the BIOS, or sending the board to the manufacturer for a BIOS update. Hopefully the support is also good this time around.

Likely, if he plops in a ryzen 3000 cpu it wont boot at all.

Since he doesnt have a bios flashback button, he will need a 1st or second gen cpu to update the bios. Amd has supplied older cpus in the past to people who needed bios updates.

You could buy a 200ge apu to update the bios and then return the apu.