Question Question regarding the bottom PCIE x16 slot on a Crosshair VIII Formula

notea

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Hello,
I have a 5900X, with a Crosshair VIII Formula (X570) and a Strix 3080 on the 1st PCIe slot, the board comes with only 2x m.2 slots and its a bit less for such an expensive board.
i have populated both m.2 slots and planning to add an m.2 nvme adapter.. but if i install anything on the 2nd x16 slot, it will make the 1st slot run at x8 only.
so i was wondering if i installed the nvme adapter on the bottom slot (Chipset pcie lane), will the 1st slot default to X8 or run at X16? the manual didnt explain much..

thanks
Screenshot_1820.jpg

Screenshot_1819.jpg

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Keep in mind that that last slot only has 4x lanes. No problem for a single drive. If you want to use more than one drive, you have to get an adapter that can do bifurcation properly. A card that takes a 16x slot for four drives may be hard wired to have 4x lanes to each m2 slot. If you present it with 4 lanes, only one slot may work. Similar with a 2 drive adapter.

notea

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Keep in mind that that last slot only has 4x lanes. No problem for a single drive. If you want to use more than one drive, you have to get an adapter that can do bifurcation properly. A card that takes a 16x slot for four drives may be hard wired to have 4x lanes to each m2 slot. If you present it with 4 lanes, only one slot may work. Similar with a 2 drive adapter.
i need only one drive for extra storage.. and if i use the 2nd x16 slot, the 1st slot will be limited to x8 so i dont want that.

TRENDING THREADS