Question Question regarding the bottom PCIE x16 slot on a Crosshair VIII Formula

notea

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Hello,
I have a 5900X, with a Crosshair VIII Formula (X570) and a Strix 3080 on the 1st PCIe slot, the board comes with only 2x m.2 slots and its a bit less for such an expensive board.
i have populated both m.2 slots and planning to add an m.2 nvme adapter.. but if i install anything on the 2nd x16 slot, it will make the 1st slot run at x8 only.
so i was wondering if i installed the nvme adapter on the bottom slot (Chipset pcie lane), will the 1st slot default to X8 or run at X16? the manual didnt explain much..

thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Keep in mind that that last slot only has 4x lanes. No problem for a single drive. If you want to use more than one drive, you have to get an adapter that can do bifurcation properly. A card that takes a 16x slot for four drives may be hard wired to have 4x lanes to each m2 slot. If you present it with 4 lanes, only one slot may work. Similar with a 2 drive adapter.

notea

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Keep in mind that that last slot only has 4x lanes. No problem for a single drive. If you want to use more than one drive, you have to get an adapter that can do bifurcation properly. A card that takes a 16x slot for four drives may be hard wired to have 4x lanes to each m2 slot. If you present it with 4 lanes, only one slot may work. Similar with a 2 drive adapter.
i need only one drive for extra storage.. and if i use the 2nd x16 slot, the 1st slot will be limited to x8 so i dont want that.

ASK THE COMMUNITY