Question Question regarding the headphone amp in M-Audio M-track Solo USB Interface

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
I have a M-Audio M-Track Solo usb audio interface and very little complete information i can find on the headphone amp inside it plus my general lack of knowledge

Basically i have a hifiman he400se and according to the good ole headphone calculator it needs

POWER - 79.43 mw

VOLTAGE - 1.59 RMS (V)

CURRENT - 49.8 RMS (mA)

While the he400se have 91 dB sensitivity and 32 impedance and i do also use auto eq (equalizer apo/peace)

So i was thinking am i leaving some sound or quality or the headphones capabilities on the table or this usb interface that i have is capable of handling the he400se

because if im leaving performance on the table then i would not mind getting a amp and since this is my first open back, im not not sure if im getting the full sound of it capabilities ,though i do enjoy the sound a lot but if something can help it be better or more capable then no harm until its within reason

So thats what i'm confused about and would appreciate help on it please
Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
I have a M-Audio M-Track Solo usb audio interface and very little complete information i can find on the headphone amp inside it plus my general lack of knowledge

Basically i have a hifiman he400se and according to the good ole headphone calculator it needs

POWER - 79.43 mw

VOLTAGE - 1.59 RMS (V)

CURRENT - 49.8 RMS (mA)

While the he400se have 91 dB sensitivity and 32 impedance and i do also use auto eq (equalizer apo/peace)

So i was thinking am i leaving some sound or quality or the headphones capabilities on the table or this usb interface that i have is capable of handling the he400se

because if im leaving performance on the table then i would not mind getting a amp and since this is my first open back, im not not sure if im getting the full sound of it capabilities ,though i do enjoy the sound a lot but if something can help it be better or more capable then no harm until its within reason

So thats what i'm confused about and would appreciate help on it please
Thanks
Audio is very subjective and VERY susceptible to bias. You paid more so it MUST sound better.
The M-Track is a basic mixer with USB interface (from my review of the sales page). It is not targeted to an ultimate audio fidelity market. And it is priced accordingly. The he400se webpage actually show a 25 ohm impedance rather than the 32 you list. That is not a "difficult" pair of headphones.

The real question, is can you tell the difference? What does listening to the same audio from the onboard audio vs the M-Track sound like? If possible, you should have someone else move (or not move) the input of your headphones while you are blindfolded. Maybe you can tell the difference, maybe not. If not, then don't spend any money. If so, then maybe you would benefit, maybe not. Again audio is VERY subjective. The other variable is what you listen to. Orchestral music will have very different dynamic range than does commercial rock/pop. And even the source of audio matters. Are you listening to a lossless file? Are you listening to a master vinyl with a new $1000 cartridge? Or are you listening to a bootleg download with an unknown origin?
To say you have "a feeling you are leaving performance on the table" without any testing is a lot of FOMO and bias, IMO.

Reactions: drivinfast247

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Audio is very subjective and VERY susceptible to bias. You paid more so it MUST sound better.
The M-Track is a basic mixer with USB interface (from my review of the sales page). It is not targeted to an ultimate audio fidelity market. And it is priced accordingly. The he400se webpage actually show a 25 ohm impedance rather than the 32 you list. That is not a "difficult" pair of headphones.

The real question, is can you tell the difference? What does listening to the same audio from the onboard audio vs the M-Track sound like? If possible, you should have someone else move (or not move) the input of your headphones while you are blindfolded. Maybe you can tell the difference, maybe not. If not, then don't spend any money. If so, then maybe you would benefit, maybe not. Again audio is VERY subjective. The other variable is what you listen to. Orchestral music will have very different dynamic range than does commercial rock/pop. And even the source of audio matters. Are you listening to a lossless file? Are you listening to a master vinyl with a new $1000 cartridge? Or are you listening to a bootleg download with an unknown origin?
To say you have "a feeling you are leaving performance on the table" without any testing is a lot of FOMO and bias, IMO.
Very well put thanks ,puts a lot of things into perspective
and i have the stealth magnet edition ,my mistake i left that information out but they are 32 ohms and non stealth are 25 ohm

But regardless the onboard audio on my motherboard is terrible and drives them at extreme low volumes even on headphone mode (asrock b450m steel legend) and since i have the m-track solo i use for my guitar ,it does make them louder to a desirable level even with eq and negative pre-amp

And agreed on audio and sound being Very subjective and what i mostly listen to is a odd combo of classic rock and some modern pop and alt rock
And because of this paranoia of am i driving them properly i wondered if those drivers are getting what they need
But i guess there always will be a FOMO but still thanks for clarifying

For $50 I'd be more worried about what DAC is used in the unit. The 400se are an easy to drive headphone so the AMP is really of no concern.

For music listening I'd look into entry level units from JDS Labs or Schitt Audio.

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
For $50 I'd be more worried about what DAC is used in the unit. The 400se are an easy to drive headphone so the AMP is really of no concern.
Now you made me worried ugh ,haha im just kidding
But yeah i wonder if i should just get a Fiio BTR5 ,it will put all my doubts at ease and i can use them wirelessly on my stupid phone with no headphone jack instead of getting a type c to 3.5mm for casual listening

kanewolf

Titan
And agreed on audio and sound being Very subjective and what i mostly listen to is a odd combo of classic rock and some modern pop and alt rock
And because of this paranoia of am i driving them properly i wondered if those drivers are getting what they need
But i guess there always will be a FOMO but still thanks for clarifying
If you are listening to classic rock and modern pop then it is probably very compressed (low dynamic range). "Quality" is compromised PURPOSEFULLY during recording.
Do you actually use the mixer functionality of the M-Track ?

TRENDING THREADS