[SOLVED] Question Regarding Virtual Machine macOS on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardIIV

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Good day everybody.
So I'm planning on buying a PC soon, and I'll be moving from a Macbook. So I thought, why not get macOS on the PC through a virtual machine, since I'm very fond of the OS?

Anyway, that's what I'm planning on doing, but I have a question that also is related to hardware. I'm going to hopefully be running a dual-monitor setup, so my question is;
If I were to fullscreen the macOS virtual machine on a single monitor while running Windows on the other monitor, and the macOS virtual machine is idle or not doing much, like watching a video, while the Windows side is playing a game or such, will there be any effect on game performance?

When installing macOS as a virtual machine, it will often ask for how much memory I want to allocate to the virtual machine, along with the cores of the CPU and the VRAM. But, once again, what if the virtual machine is idle, will the Windows side use all cores, VRAM and memory? Or will it only use what is left for it, say only 8GB out of 16GB of RAM (since the other 8GB is allocated for macOS)?

I hope I was clear enough.
Thanks and cheers!

Solution
Stick with the Macbook to run OS X. Why would you want to run it in a VM instead?

This presumes that you are keeping the Macbook. If not, there is no legal way that you can run OS X and this site cannot provide help with the illegal use of software.

McHenryB

Admirable
Stick with the Macbook to run OS X. Why would you want to run it in a VM instead?

This presumes that you are keeping the Macbook. If not, there is no legal way that you can run OS X and this site cannot provide help with the illegal use of software.

Solution

EdwardIIV

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Really, I though buying the OS to run on VM would be possible?
Unfortunately, my Macbook is quite slow and I won't be able to do such heavy tasks on it, so that's not an option.

Thanks for the help, guess I'll reconsider.

McHenryB

Admirable
You can't buy OS X; you buy the right to use it when you buy a MAc. (And lose that right if you sell the Mac.)

But if you could run it in a VM you would probably get poorer performance than on real Mac hardware in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.