Question Regarding "wuauboot.exe"

Ever since this morning I've had this "wuauboot.exe" show up in my Windows
Task Manager as a Process. Doesn't happen when I boot, but rather when I
first start to use Internet Explorer and browse the internet. I've read that
this file is the executable for Windows Automatic Update, which I have off
nor does it show up under my Startup in msconfig. I've ran virus scans and
spyware scans using Adaware and Spybot and all the logs state there's not a
problem. Any suggestions as to how I remove this and keep it from starting
everytime I run Internet Explorer? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_w.htm
According to the above link this relates to WinME?

Further info can be obtained

http://www.auditmypc.com/process/wuauboot.asp
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=wuauboot.exe&meta=

"KeltikJazz" <KeltikJazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ever since this morning I've had this "wuauboot.exe" show up in my Windows
> Task Manager as a Process. Doesn't happen when I boot, but rather when I
> first start to use Internet Explorer and browse the internet. I've read that
> this file is the executable for Windows Automatic Update, which I have off
> nor does it show up under my Startup in msconfig. I've ran virus scans and
> spyware scans using Adaware and Spybot and all the logs state there's not a
> problem. Any suggestions as to how I remove this and keep it from starting
> everytime I run Internet Explorer? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!
>
> Thank you

Thank you Taurarian for the info!!!

Any idea though as to why this just seemed to start happening the other day?
Haven't downloaded, installed, or changed anything on my pc. It only turns
on when I use Internet Explorer and even after I go into the Windows Task
Manager and end the process, it turns right back on when I switch web pages.

Thank you

"Taurarian" wrote:

> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_w.htm
> According to the above link this relates to WinME?
>
> Further info can be obtained
>
> http://www.auditmypc.com/process/wuauboot.asp
> http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=wuauboot.exe&meta=
>

> "KeltikJazz" <KeltikJazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ever since this morning I've had this "wuauboot.exe" show up in my Windows
> > Task Manager as a Process. Doesn't happen when I boot, but rather when I
> > first start to use Internet Explorer and browse the internet. I've read that
> > this file is the executable for Windows Automatic Update, which I have off
> > nor does it show up under my Startup in msconfig. I've ran virus scans and
> > spyware scans using Adaware and Spybot and all the logs state there's not a
> > problem. Any suggestions as to how I remove this and keep it from starting
> > everytime I run Internet Explorer? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!
> >
> > Thank you

No idea why it's happening - have you tried a system restore to a point before the
problem occurred?

> Thank you Taurarian for the info!!!
>
> Any idea though as to why this just seemed to start happening the other day?
> Haven't downloaded, installed, or changed anything on my pc. It only turns
> on when I use Internet Explorer and even after I go into the Windows Task
> Manager and end the process, it turns right back on when I switch web pages.
>
> Thank you
>
> "Taurarian" wrote:
>
>> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_w.htm
>> According to the above link this relates to WinME?
>>
>> Further info can be obtained
>>
>> http://www.auditmypc.com/process/wuauboot.asp
>> http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=wuauboot.exe&meta=
>>

>> "KeltikJazz" <KeltikJazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ever since this morning I've had this "wuauboot.exe" show up in my Windows
>> > Task Manager as a Process. Doesn't happen when I boot, but rather when I
>> > first start to use Internet Explorer and browse the internet. I've read that
>> > this file is the executable for Windows Automatic Update, which I have off
>> > nor does it show up under my Startup in msconfig. I've ran virus scans and
>> > spyware scans using Adaware and Spybot and all the logs state there's not a
>> > problem. Any suggestions as to how I remove this and keep it from starting
>> > everytime I run Internet Explorer? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!
>> >
>> > Thank you

Yes,
I did system restore and thankfully it was only the day prior to this
happening....but....it still starts. I can't even find the file under my
Windows directory anywhere. It's not even listed to be turned off or
unticked in my System Startup services, but yet it still turns on. Ever
since this lil process has been starting while using Internet Explorer, I've
also noticed that I get alot more popups too. I've done 4 different
antiSpyware checks and 2 antiVirus checks.....and they all say I'm good. I
appreciate your help, thank you for the info. I've Googlelized this issue to
the point my heads spinning. LOL

"Taurarian" wrote:

> No idea why it's happening - have you tried a system restore to a point before the
> problem occurred?
>
> "KeltikJazz" <KeltikJazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you Taurarian for the info!!!
> >
> > Any idea though as to why this just seemed to start happening the other day?
> > Haven't downloaded, installed, or changed anything on my pc. It only turns
> > on when I use Internet Explorer and even after I go into the Windows Task
> > Manager and end the process, it turns right back on when I switch web pages.
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > "Taurarian" wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_w.htm
> >> According to the above link this relates to WinME?
> >>
> >> Further info can be obtained
> >>
> >> http://www.auditmypc.com/process/wuauboot.asp
> >> http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=wuauboot.exe&meta=
> >>

> >> "KeltikJazz" <KeltikJazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

It's a puzzler, next I would look for an entry in the registry - but be careful.

Note you can save the registry key first by:
On the File menu, click Export.
In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
and/or create a system restore point prior to editing.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.

Also consider if you haven't already done so:
Information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

The below links assist you in checking your system for parasites:-
http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/parasite.htm
Please note that some malware may kill the internet connection when it is removed,
the program on the link below will enable you to regain the internet connection.
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by third-party software
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827315

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx
Fight Spyware – articles by Microsoft

> Yes,
> I did system restore and thankfully it was only the day prior to this
> happening....but....it still starts. I can't even find the file under my
> Windows directory anywhere. It's not even listed to be turned off or
> unticked in my System Startup services, but yet it still turns on. Ever
> since this lil process has been starting while using Internet Explorer, I've
> also noticed that I get alot more popups too. I've done 4 different
> antiSpyware checks and 2 antiVirus checks.....and they all say I'm good. I
> appreciate your help, thank you for the info. I've Googlelized this issue to
> the point my heads spinning. LOL
>

> "Taurarian" wrote:
>
>> No idea why it's happening - have you tried a system restore to a point before the
>> problem occurred?
>>
>> "KeltikJazz" <KeltikJazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you Taurarian for the info!!!
>> >
>> > Any idea though as to why this just seemed to start happening the other day?
>> > Haven't downloaded, installed, or changed anything on my pc. It only turns
>> > on when I use Internet Explorer and even after I go into the Windows Task
>> > Manager and end the process, it turns right back on when I switch web pages.
>> >
>> > Thank you

Latest posts