[SOLVED] Question SATA/IDE adapter to USB and uses dvd drive

Solution
No, they won't die.

Though that is a very clunky solution for a DVD drive.

Nothing wrong with particular adapter while it remains powered from mains when used. A bit clunky, yes. However nothing wrong if he use DVD disks only sometimes. I use the same solution with similar USB 2.0 adapter and IDE Lite-On DVD writer for both CD/DVD reading and writing. Works well and because I need something to do with disks only once or twice in a year, I see no reason to purchase another external USB DVD drive for that.
No, they won't die.

Though that is a very clunky solution for a DVD drive.

Nothing wrong with particular adapter while it remains powered from mains when used. A bit clunky, yes. However nothing wrong if he use DVD disks only sometimes. I use the same solution with similar USB 2.0 adapter and IDE Lite-On DVD writer for both CD/DVD reading and writing. Works well and because I need something to do with disks only once or twice in a year, I see no reason to purchase another external USB DVD drive for that.

Solution

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020

Do any of you have this blue box adapter kit? does it work on Windows 10? is it having USB 2.0 a disadvantage to use in optical drive dvd sata 2 and sata 3?

a person before told me that this adapter destroys the optical drive because the adapter does not have a drive controller chipset, is this true?

do i buy on aliexpress this blue box adapter kit is the best model most updated and cheap?

Do any of you have this blue box adapter kit? does it work on Windows 10? is it having USB 2.0 a disadvantage to use in optical drive dvd sata 2 and sata 3?

I have two of them. One is USB 2.0 adapter for PATA 3.5" / PATA 2.5" / SATA drives - purchased for 15$ under Manhattan name in eBay a decade ago. Never failed me except when I forgot about external power supply :) I believe your Aliexpress adapter is the same thing - they came with many names but are same inside. Second is noname USB 3.0 adapter for PATA 3.5" / PATA 2.5" / SATA drives, purchased in Banggood for 21$ on discount two years ago. No issues either. Both works with external DVD writer in read and write modes just fine in both Windows 7, Windows 10 and Linux. Largest achieved data transfer speed for mentioned USB 2.0 adapter to SATA HDD was 35 MB/s. It is above DVD writing speed anyway so no issues here. The most important thing is to avoid accidental contraption on table touching during writing. If you have cat or small children, lock the computer room then.

a person before told me that this adapter destroys the optical drive because the adapter does not have a drive controller chipset, is this true?

I would call this utter BS. All what PATA or SATA optical drive requires is already built in drive. Yes, first PATA DVD drives often was used together with MPEG-2 decoder VGA cards like Creative Dxr3 with PATA connector for DVD drive connection. 486 and first Pentium CPUs was too weak to decode MPEG-2 streams. But it had nothing to do with drive itself.

No reason to worry about adapter itself in these 5$ USB 2.0 to SATA adapters. The item which can broke due to cheapness is power supply. Though mine is still alive after a decade so most likely no worries here either.

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
I have two of them. One is USB 2.0 adapter for PATA 3.5" / PATA 2.5" / SATA drives - purchased for 15$ under Manhattan name in eBay a decade ago. Never failed me except when I forgot about external power supply :) I believe your Aliexpress adapter is the same thing - they came with many names but are same inside. Second is noname USB 3.0 adapter for PATA 3.5" / PATA 2.5" / SATA drives, purchased in Banggood for 21$ on discount two years ago. No issues either. Both works with external DVD writer in read and write modes just fine in both Windows 7, Windows 10 and Linux. Largest achieved data transfer speed for mentioned USB 2.0 adapter to SATA HDD was 35 MB/s. It is above DVD writing speed anyway so no issues here. The most important thing is to avoid accidental contraption on table touching during writing. If you have cat or small children, lock the computer room then.

I would call this utter BS. All what PATA or SATA optical drive requires is already built in drive. Yes, first PATA DVD drives often was used together with MPEG-2 decoder VGA cards like Creative Dxr3 with PATA connector for DVD drive connection. 486 and first Pentium CPUs was too weak to decode MPEG-2 streams. But it had nothing to do with drive itself.

No reason to worry about adapter itself in these 5$ USB 2.0 to SATA adapters. The item which can broke due to cheapness is power supply. Though mine is still alive after a decade so most likely no worries here either.

1) I think I will buy this adapter from the blue box but there is no risk of this adapter reducing the useful life of the DVD drive because it does not have a built-in chipset control?

2) I also had doubts if this adapter would work on the modern PC with Windows 10 and USB 3.0 because this adapter is from the time of Windows 7

3) Does USB 2.0 provide the full speed of reading and burning the DVD disc?

4) What are the tips for preserving an internal SATA 2 and 3 DVD reader / writer drive? do they have electrolytic capacitors? do they need to be turned on and used every month?

I will repeat - forget about chipset control in DVD drive. Internal PATA and SATA drives for computers have all what is needed built in drive itself. FYI: External USB drives internally are PATA or SATA with USB adapter as well. Even those hideous drives where USB to SATA adapter is a part of drive controller circuit and is located on same PCB ;)

For your luck PATA and SATA over USB was standardized 15+ years ago. And are supported by all major operating systems. Windows, Linux, MacOS, ... pick your poison. So same HDD/SSD/CD/DVD/BD/Flash drive which worked in Windows 7, works in Windows 10 as well. USB 3.0 drives over USB 2.0 port will work with USB 2.0 speed, but otherwise they are equal. The only issue you can experience - when external drive without power supply can't initialize because particular USB port can't provide enough current to power connected device. Which again does not apply to devices with power supply in themselves like your adapter about what we are talking about.

USB 2.0 data transfer speed (480 Mbps aka 60 MB/s) is enough for DVD writing and always was. Your usual DVD writer drive with 10x DVD write speed require constant 13.2 MB/s data transfer speed support which USB 2.0 and your USB 2.0 to SATA adapter can easy handle. Avoiding unwanted system load spikes on older/slower systems with 1-2 core CPUs during writing is much more important here. If write buffer exhaustion happen, slow down write speed a little at next time.

There are not much to do with internal 3.5" DVD drive using as external drive via USB adapter. Except avoid splashing coffee over it (and do not allow your cat/children to do it) and do not use very bad +5V/+12V power supplies. If you want to use your "external 3.5 DVD drive" often, maybe put it into some protective casing.

And yes - optical drive as any sophisticated electronic circuit, has capacitors too ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: cloudff7ps1

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
I will repeat - forget about chipset control in DVD drive. Internal PATA and SATA drives for computers have all what is needed built in drive itself. FYI: External USB drives internally are PATA or SATA with USB adapter as well. Even those hideous drives where USB to SATA adapter is a part of drive controller circuit and is located on same PCB ;)

For your luck PATA and SATA over USB was standardized 15+ years ago. And are supported by all major operating systems. Windows, Linux, MacOS, ... pick your poison. So same HDD/SSD/CD/DVD/BD/Flash drive which worked in Windows 7, works in Windows 10 as well. USB 3.0 drives over USB 2.0 port will work with USB 2.0 speed, but otherwise they are equal. The only issue you can experience - when external drive without power supply can't initialize because particular USB port can't provide enough current to power connected device. Which again does not apply to devices with power supply in themselves like your adapter about what we are talking about.

USB 2.0 data transfer speed (480 Mbps aka 60 MB/s) is enough for DVD writing and always was. Your usual DVD writer drive with 10x DVD write speed require constant 13.2 MB/s data transfer speed support which USB 2.0 and your USB 2.0 to SATA adapter can easy handle. Avoiding unwanted system load spikes on older/slower systems with 1-2 core CPUs during writing is much more important here. If write buffer exhaustion happen, slow down write speed a little at next time.

There are not much to do with internal 3.5" DVD drive using as external drive via USB adapter. Except avoid splashing coffee over it (and do not allow your cat/children to do it) and do not use very bad +5V/+12V power supplies. If you want to use your "external 3.5 DVD drive" often, maybe put it into some protective casing.

And yes - optical drive as any sophisticated electronic circuit, has capacitors too ;)
Which DVD burner drive is better, internal or external USB drive?

are the capacitors of the sata 2 and 3 DVD recorder drive capacitors electrolytic or solid?

does anyone own this adapter kit? is the power supply correct or lying does it provide real 2.5A and 12V?

USAFRet

Titan

are the capacitors of the sata 2 and 3 DVD recorder drive capacitors electrolytic or solid?

does anyone own this adapter kit? is the power supply correct or lying does it provide real 2.5A and 12V?
Internal or external is not generally a deciding point in "better". Requirements are the deciding factor.

Currently, I have an external. My new HTPC has no space for an internal, and my main PC has no more SATA ports.
So, an external attached to the HTPC.
And I use mine 2-3 times a week.

Those cheap power supplies are binary. They either works or does not work. If they works, you are good. If not, go to shop for another one.

Sigh. You know, seems it would be better for all of us if you will purchase external DVD drive (new or used) and stop bothering about anything else.

USAFRet

Titan
it would be more advantageous for me to purchase a USB3.0 adapter. this kit adapter is usb 2.0 and my drives are internal sata 2 and sata 3

on aliexpress what is the best model of sata adapter for usb3.0 for me to use on read / write dvd drive?
In the context of a DVD, SATA II or SATA III does not matter.
The drive and the actual DVD will not saturate either protocol.

There was a running joke about guy who wanted to do anything through hardship. Even making love at standing position in hammock. Seems I know about who this was said :)

Well, then avoid anything under 15$ without power supply. Seems this is the USB 3.0 adapter I have now. You can find other adapters (QGeeM and E-yield) in Ali at same +/- 20$ price range which seems the same thing. I will not add more links because this forum rules will put my post in hold again if I will do that.

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
There was a running joke about guy who wanted to do anything through hardship. Even making love at standing position in hammock. Seems I know about who this was said :)

Well, then avoid anything under 15$ without power supply. Seems this is the USB 3.0 adapter I have now. You can find other adapters (QGeeM and E-yield) in Ali at same +/- 20$ price range which seems the same thing. I will not add more links because this forum rules will put my post in hold again if I will do that.
see these adapters are they USB 3.0 are they better than the adapter ide/sata for usb on blue box? two adapters works optical dvd drive?

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/33011559308.html?algo_pvid=f2bf0fda-5bb8-4dc4-bd33-4ad7c6f73bfa&af=313684&aff_platform=aaf&btsid=0b0a557216097844575842152e2326&afref=https://forums.tomshardware.com/&cn=19888&dp=12::313684::tomshardware-row-6430614614432240000::::1609786630&algo_expid=f2bf0fda-5bb8-4dc4-bd33-4ad7c6f73bfa-48&spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5fab11209wRYEo&cv=12&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_&sk=Y7bAZbY&aff_trace_key=fd9b5cfa3386447cb3231bf49321dbe5-1609786630471-02861-Y7bAZbY&terminal_id=b342042d36b6477ba946545353e040b8&tmLog=new_Detail

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/32870105898.html

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
I see no power supply included with both adapters. You still require 12V 2A power supply with 2,1mm Jack connector then. USB 3.0 port provide only 900 mA current where DVD writer during writing require 1.5-2A. One of cheapest suitable adapter with power supply is this one.

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4000922896312.html
this adapter that you posted on the link I didn't know is it better than all the other adapter kits shown in this topic? i look for the best cheap dvd drive optical sata 2 and 3 for usb

in its description does not show support for windows 10 only until 7

is it possible to buy this adapter without the power supply and buy a decent power supply stabilized on aliexpress?

Ouch. How much times you must hear that external DVD drive require power too? If you wish to repurpose used 5" internal DVD writer over USB, it must have 2A power supply for stable work. External USB DVD writers already made for use in such way, require less power and no special adapter (but are slower).
in its description does not show support for windows 10 only until 7
People, when you will start to read actual commentaries? I already wrote about USB drive support in Windows above. The communication between drive and computer over USB was standardized 15 years ago and works in both Windows 7 and Windows 10. On some adapter packages Windows 10 is not mentioned only because 10 was not released yet when package design was made. Can't help though if one can't comprehend what the word "standardize" mean.

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
internal sata drives are more durable than the external usb?

i need to buy a sata to to usb adapter to use the internal drives outside the PC which cheapest adapter from Aliexpress is the best?

USAFRet

Titan

i need to buy a sata to to usb adapter to use the internal drives outside the PC which cheapest adapter from Aliexpress is the best?
If you're going to have it outside the case, I would say a purpose built external DVD drive is "more durable", because there are fewer wires and cables to trip over.
A single USB to the PC.

I have one. $20.

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
i not use external drive fragile

If you're going to have it outside the case, I would say a purpose built external DVD drive is "more durable", because there are fewer wires and cables to trip over.
A single USB to the PC.

Exactly my thoughts. I believe our dear cloudff7ps1 can avoid love making standing in hammock and purchase external USB DVD drive. Which will cost only like 6-pack of good beer to him. And stop dancing with tambourine around Aliexpress. He resemble my GF who almost literally gave birth to her laptop. She was unable to choose any laptop from features, look and price she could afford at that time. Which turned into little nightmare for exactly 9 months and few grey hair for me.

USAFRet

Titan
Exactly my thoughts. I believe our dear cloudff7ps1 can avoid love making standing in hammock and purchase external USB DVD drive. Which will cost only like 6-pack of good beer to him. And stop dancing with tambourine around Aliexpress. He resemble my GF who almost literally gave birth to her laptop. She was unable to choose any laptop from features, look and price she could afford at that time. Which turned into little nightmare for exactly 9 months and few grey hair for me.
Well...they may be in a weird part of the world, and Ali is the only outlet available.

But..."which power adapter is best?"
I'd be surprised if they didn't all come off the same assembly line, just with different labels.

Well...they may be in a weird part of the world, and Ali is the only outlet available.

You may be right. Here in Latvia which BTW is also European Union, shipping costs from western shops like Amazon are mental (like 15$ for item with 20$ price tag quite often). Ali have much better shipping costs here even with customs tax.

But..."which power adapter is best?"
I'd be surprised if they didn't all come off the same assembly line, just with different labels.

Those 5$ power supplies definitely may came from same assembly line. Heard a few interviews from guys who own businesses in China. The only difference here seems a bit more shoddy casing because very practical Chinese managers continue to use expired plastic moldings left from a bit more expensive siblings. And a parody of QA which for cheapies will pass if thing is able to turn on and produce more or less adequate voltage :) Anyway its like lottery though in most cases these things works just fine.