question li-po battery

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
my Lipo batteries are stored with voltage 3.8V and 3.85V I better discharge them to 3.7v?

Li-Po self-discharge is slower if stored at 3.7v and faster at 4.0v or is it the same??

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
Keeping Li-Po batteries stored for the long term at a voltage of 3.63v is it dangerous for it to discharge and the battery to die? is it correct to set at 3.7v for long term storage?

i have BM20 and BP-5L smartphone batteries

Keeping Li-Po batteries stored for the long term at a voltage of 3.63v is it dangerous for it to discharge and the battery to die? is it correct to set at 3.7v for long term storage?

i have BM20 and BP-5L smartphone batteries

3.63V is OK, 3.7V Lithium battery usually can go as low as 3.3V before the discharge protection kicks on.

For long term storage of these Li-Po batteries is there a minimum and maximum voltage range or is just 3.7v best?

Voltage will drop gradually, even if you don't use the battery.

So long term storage simply means the battery will be death one day. Unless you spend your time to check it every 6 months or so.

So you know that voltage doesn't last forever, just charge the battery to 80% and leave it somewhere dry and dark.

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
Voltage will drop gradually, even if you don't use the battery.

So long term storage simply means the battery will be death one day. Unless you spend your time to check it every 6 months or so.

So you know that voltage doesn't last forever, just charge the battery to 80% and leave it somewhere dry and dark.
80% is what voltage?

my batteries are now at 3.6v

80% is what voltage?

my batteries are now at 3.6v

Different batteries will have different charging/discharging behavior, this discharge graph is for example only as a charging graph might have slightly different curve.

Generally, at 3.6V your battery is good for storage, you could charge a bit more if you want.

But how long the battery will hold the charge is another question, you can check your battery from time to time.

1517885310409993.png

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
I think it's OK.

But as I said above, you should check it from time to time.

From my personal experience, if the battery is fully charged, you can store it for at least 6 months without problem.
A lot of people talk about different voltages 3.6v, 3.7v, 3.8v, 3.9v but I'm confused which voltage I should follow Do you have any studies or indications from manufacturers about long term storage voltage?

temperature in my city varies 31-34ºC

Nov 11, 2021
Sorry for the piggyback - I have a 3.7v battery showing 2.9v. Discharge cut off is 3.0v. It won't charge - is it time to throw it out?