[SOLVED] Question

Sep 25, 2020
I'm here using Ryzen 5 3600, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, HyperX Fury RGB. I'm setting manual overclock running at 4.1 GHz ( 1.35 V ). But why, after i check in task manager. It is running at 4.13 GHZ. Does anyone knows what happen ?

Solution
Frequencies don't stay at EXACTLY the frequency you set them at. There are, and should be, some fluctuations despite any settings. A 4.5Ghz overclock for example might tend to fluctuate as much as a 100-200mhz in either direction even when under a full load, and should normally be configured so that the minimum processor power state in the Windows power plan advanced options is set to around 8% so that when it is NOT under a full load the cores can "relax" and cool down the package, so that clocks might run as low as around 800mhz or thereabouts, and then jump back up to whatever the configured core frequency is as soon as there is demand for it to do so.

4.13Ghz on a 4.1Ghz setting is NOT unusual. There is no problem there. Plus, task...
Frequencies don't stay at EXACTLY the frequency you set them at. There are, and should be, some fluctuations despite any settings. A 4.5Ghz overclock for example might tend to fluctuate as much as a 100-200mhz in either direction even when under a full load, and should normally be configured so that the minimum processor power state in the Windows power plan advanced options is set to around 8% so that when it is NOT under a full load the cores can "relax" and cool down the package, so that clocks might run as low as around 800mhz or thereabouts, and then jump back up to whatever the configured core frequency is as soon as there is demand for it to do so.

4.13Ghz on a 4.1Ghz setting is NOT unusual. There is no problem there. Plus, task manager is not what should be used to monitor ANYTHING, much less core speeds. I would recommend you get Ryzen master and HWinfo.

Monitoring software

HWmonitor, Open hardware monitor, Realtemp, Speccy, Speedfan, Windows utilities like resource monitor, CPU-Z, NZXT CAM and most of the bundled motherboard utilities are often not the best choice as they are not always accurate. Some are actually grossly inaccurate, especially with certain chipsets or specific sensors that for whatever reason they tend to not like or work well with. I've found HWinfo or CoreTemp to be the MOST accurate with the broadest range of chipsets and sensors. They are also almost religiously kept up to date.

CoreTemp is great for just CPU thermals including core temps or distance to TJmax on older AMD platforms.

HWinfo is great for pretty much EVERYTHING, including CPU thermals, core loads, core temps, package temps, GPU sensors, HDD and SSD sensors, motherboard chipset and VRM sensor, all of it. When starting HWinfo after installation, always check the box next to "sensors only" and de-select the box next to "summary".

Run HWinfo and look at system voltages and other sensor readings.

Monitoring temperatures, core speeds, voltages, clock ratios and other reported sensor data can often help to pick out an issue right off the bat. HWinfo is a good way to get that data and in my experience tends to be more accurate than some of the other utilities available. CPU-Z, GPU-Z and Core Temp all have their uses but HWinfo tends to have it all laid out in a more convenient fashion so you can usually see what one sensor is reporting while looking at another instead of having to flip through various tabs that have specific groupings, plus, it is extremely rare for HWinfo to not report the correct sensor values under the correct sensor listings, or misreport other information. Utilities like HWmonitor, Openhardware monitor and Speccy, tend to COMMONLY misreport sensor data, or not report it at all.

After installation, run the utility and when asked, choose "sensors only". The other window options have some use but in most cases everything you need will be located in the sensors window. If you're taking screenshots to post for troubleshooting, it will most likely require taking three screenshots and scrolling down the sensors window between screenshots in order to capture them all.

It is most helpful if you can take a series of HWinfo screenshots at idle, after a cold boot to the desktop. Open HWinfo and wait for all of the Windows startup processes to complete. Usually about four or five minutes should be plenty. Take screenshots of all the HWinfo sensors.

Next, run something demanding like Prime95 (With AVX and AVX2 disabled) or Heaven benchmark. Take another set of screenshots while either of those is running so we can see what the hardware is doing while under a load.

*Download HWinfo

For temperature monitoring only, I feel Core Temp is the most accurate and also offers a quick visual reference for core speed, load and CPU voltage:

*Download Core Temp

Ryzen master for Zen or newer AMD CPUs, or Overdrive for older Pre-Ryzen platforms (AM3/AM3+/FM2/FM2+)

For monitoring on AMD Ryzen and Threadripper platforms including Zen or newer architectures, it is recommended that you use Ryzen master if for no other reason than because any updates or changes to monitoring requirements are more likely to be implemented sooner, and properly, than with other monitoring utilities. Core Temp and HWinfo are still good, with this platform, but when changes to CPU micro code or other BIOS modifications occur, or there are driver or power plan changes, it sometimes takes a while before those get implemented by 3rd party utilities, while Ryzen master, being a direct AMD product, generally gets updated immediately. Since it is also specific to the hardware in question, it can be more accurately and specifically developed without any requirement for inclusion of other architectures which won't be compatible in any case. You wouldn't use a hammer to drive a wood screw in (At least I hope not) and this is very much the same, being the right tool for the job at hand.

*Download Ryzen Master

Also, posting screenshots, when requested, is helpful so WE can see what is going on as well and you can learn how to do that here:

How to post images on Tom's hardware forums

[/CENTER]

Solution
Sep 25, 2020

4.13Ghz on a 4.1Ghz setting is NOT unusual. There is no problem there.

I mean i set on 4.1 GHz on my bios. buat at the task manager Base Speed is 4.13 GHz

Yes, it is normal. You will just about never get an actual even whole number. There will always be minor differences in the actual reading for the frequency on CPUs, GPUs, memory and other frequency dependent hardware like Northbridge, chipset, etc. It is never going to be fully STATIC.

Sep 25, 2020
Yes, it is normal. You will just about never get an actual even whole number. There will always be minor differences in the actual reading for the frequency on CPUs, GPUs, memory and other frequency dependent hardware like Northbridge, chipset, etc. It is never going to be fully STATIC.
okay thankyou brother