BANNED
Jun 7, 2022
Current specs :

750w Evga psu gold
32 gb ddr4 corsair
500? Gb ssd and tb+ hdd
Z590 asus strix
Stock intel cooler and I have a hyper air cooler

so I am returning the mobo for a cheaper one asus prime z590-p and I got an1660 OC edition since it was cheap and not breaking any records.
I want to return my 11400 and get an overlocking one like 11700k. Forgot my question now…umm oh yeah, do I need liquid cooling to overclock? Or u think this sixty dollar hyper air cooler will be fine? What temps should I make sure cpu doesn’t go over? Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
liquid cooling to overclock?
Not exactly a high end air cooler will get the job done. You should look at a beefy air cooler to work with that i7 you intend to pair with the board.

As for your thread's post;
I have a hyper air cooler
+
this sixty dollar hyper air cooler will be fine?

A link to said cooler would help us identify which one you have to work with. Coolermaster have a number of SKU's under the Hyper lineup.

Ncallstar

BANNED
Jun 7, 2022
liquid cooling to overclock?
Not exactly a high end air cooler will get the job done. You should look at a beefy air cooler to work with that i7 you intend to pair with the board.

As for your thread's post;
I have a hyper air cooler
+
this sixty dollar hyper air cooler will be fine?

A link to said cooler would help us identify which one you have to work with. Coolermaster have a number of SKU's under the Hyper lineup.

Idk why it matters the exact brand serial number etc it’s just a hyper air cooler but thanks I kinda understood your reply

Intel's 11th gen can be power hungry. So while I don't think a midrange air cooler will be too bad on it, it won't likely be able to maintain high boost clock speeds. If you plan on overclocking it, I can't in good faith recommend something other than a Noctua NH-U14 or a NH-D15 or similar if you want an air cooler.

If you're going water cooling, then at the minimum any decent 240mm AIO.

DSzymborski

Titan
Idk why it matters the exact brand serial number etc it’s just a hyper air cooler but thanks I kinda understood your reply

He said why it matters. Cooler Master uses that name for a variety of coolers. PC Part Picker lists 13 different models of "Hyper" from Cooler Master.

Really, your whole list has a real lack of specificity. These details actually matter in this hobby. Not all DDR4 memory is the same, not all 750W EVGA Gold-rated PSUs are of similar quality, and it goes on and on.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Ncallstar

BANNED
Jun 7, 2022
He said why it matters. Cooler Master uses that name for a variety of coolers. PC Part Picker lists 13 different models of "Hyper" from Cooler Master.

Really, your whole list has a real lack of specificity. These details actually matter in this hobby. Not all DDR4 memory is the same, not all 750W EVGA Gold-rated PSUs are of similar quality, and it goes on and on.

I asked the most basic question and lots of details but leave it to Tomshardware to never actually answer a question just reply with the one piece of useless spec info then never respond again..gg

let me guess you hard on mods gonna ban me again. That’s fine toms is useless :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I asked the most basic question
You asked 3 in a single post, and they weren't all basic.
"Do I need liquid cooling to overclock?" No.

"Or u think this sixty dollar hyper air cooler will be fine?" This one here was not basic, it was very vague. CM has a few models of the Hyper series, with a bunch just being rehashes with small improvements. They're all entry level coolers, save for maybe the Turbo model.
Whether the cooler in question would've been fine depended on the environment and how the cpu would be used.

"What temps should I make sure cpu doesn’t go over?" 100C. The cpu is designed to throttle back at that temperature anyway to protect itself. If things don't improve, it shuts off. You can always set a lower limit in bios, if you want. I recommend doing it, it's pretty handy.
5-10C lower than the default max is perfectly fine.

Current specs :

750w Evga psu gold
32 gb ddr4 corsair
500? Gb ssd and tb+ hdd
Z590 asus strix
Stock intel cooler and I have a hyper air cooler

so I am returning the mobo for a cheaper one asus prime z590-p and I got an1660 OC edition since it was cheap and not breaking any records.
I want to return my 11400 and get an overlocking one like 11700k. Forgot my question now…umm oh yeah, do I need liquid cooling to overclock? Or u think this sixty dollar hyper air cooler will be fine? What temps should I make sure cpu doesn’t go over? Thanks.
The 11700K runs warm. You want a dual tower cooler if you plan on o/c that cpu. Either of these coolers should suffice for a mild o/c.

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-AK620-High-Performance-Dual-Tower-Dissipation/dp/B09CSXS3X4
DeepCool AK620 CPU Cooler $64.99

https://global.deepcool.com/product...-High-Performance-CPU-Cooler/2021/13067.shtml

or ...

https://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Cooler-LGA1700-LGA1151-Towers/dp/B09NZGH4RD/
Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B CPU Cooler $65.99

https://www.scytheus.com/fuma2-rev-b

Status
Not open for further replies.