CAAA

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I am building a computer and i bought a anti static wrist band

Can i connect it to the metal part of the case i am using in my new computer

Do I just connect it without it plugged in ( case im using for new computer) or does it have to be plugged in with the power off in a grounded outlet?

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
If you want to use an anti-static wristband properly, it NEEDS to be grounded. The best way to do this is connect it to the "Ground" from an wall outlet. Otherwise, connect your PSU to power and THEN connect the clip to an un-painted portion of your case.

In all honesty, just be sure to ground yourself after moving away from your build-in-progress. That way you can simply forget about the wrist-strap altogether. I never use them and I work on servers daily. I just ground myself (remove all built-up ESD on my person) by touching something metal that is already grounded. Find something metal that's connected to a 3-prong (grounded) outlet and just touch that. BUT, do this around the SAME place as you are building, if you move too far away (3-4 steps) you should again ground yourself.

I rarely actually worry about it though. Haven't had problems in all my years but, I use general common sense; Something many people on here lack. I also understand electrical current and what the ESD will do to components and how it affects them...generally speaking.

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Sorry for double post. *Should* read: Otherwise DO NOT connect your PSU to power and strap to chassis. This will result in conflicting grounds and make the strap a negative. I had a strap that connected to a standard IEC cable (Standard 2 conductor cable used for PC PSU's) via the ground thus, you were earth grounded. Those are some of the better ones because they drain ALL static from you, simply sticking a clip on your case keeps YOU AND your case on the same ground but not-necessarily static free. But so long as you are neutral with your chassis, you are fine.