[SOLVED] questionable fps in CS:GO after gpu upgrade

Naipross

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
So i recently upgraded from a GTX 750 ti to a GTX 1070 ti but my fps have in most games gone up as expected but in CS:GO I barely get more than before I went from 170 fps avg to 200 fps avg but with a 1070 ti you should get around 400 fps.

So what's happening here?

The rest of my pc specs are:
CPU: R5 2600
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 ti
Ram: Corsair vengeance 2x8 Gb 3000 MHz
SSD: XPG Gammix 256 Gb M.2 + HyperX fury 480 Gb
PSU: Seasonic focus gold plus 550W

Solution
Something to note is if you have a bunch of tabs open in a browser or have a 1 or more peripheral rgb controller programs running like iCue, Razor Synapse, et cetera. Also, it would not be a bad idea to monitor CPU and GPU temps while in game to see if there is any significant temperature throttling. Watching GPU and CPU utilization would also help you identify your particular bottleneck.

If I were you I would do a clean boot and then start a bot game and check FPS there. Another thing I would try is to set performance bias in the Nvidia control panel under global 3d settings to Maximum performance if it is not already on that setting. In the power plan options check the PCI Express tab and make sure the link state power management...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
CSGO has very little to do with the gpu. It's almost irrelevant.

Fps is all from the cpu, the gpu just has to live upto it. Prior, your cpu was putting out 200fps. The gpu could only put out 170fps, so that's what you see on the bean counter. You could have put a 3090 on there and still only got 200fps because that's the limit of the cpu.

Play around with gpu drivers all you want, not going to change the 200fps output from the cpu. What will change that number is figuring out exactly why you aren't getting more to start with.

Ram not dual, no xmp, no pbo, cores not reaching rated boosts, older bios, windows registry etc.

Reactions: helper800
So i recently upgraded from a GTX 750 ti to a GTX 1070 ti but my fps have in most games gone up as expected but in CS:GO I barely get more than before I went from 170 fps avg to 200 fps avg but with a 1070 ti you should get around 400 fps.

So what's happening here?

The rest of my pc specs are:
CPU: R5 2600
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 ti
Ram: Corsair vengeance 2x8 Gb 3000 MHz
SSD: XPG Gammix 256 Gb M.2 + HyperX fury 480 Gb
PSU: Seasonic focus gold plus 550W
Run this and post a link.
PC Benchmark

Naipross

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40141955
UserBenchmarks: Game 82%, Desk 84%, Work 76%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 79.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti - 97.4%
SSD: XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro 256GB - 209.6%
SSD: Kingston SHFS37A480G 480GB - 54.8%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 99.5%
MBD: MSI B450M PRO-VDH PLUS (MS-7A38)

Also my friend who have a gtx 1050 ti which have the same technology and architecture gets more fps than me. So I should atleast have a little more fps since there is more to have. And also he's got same cpu same ram amount and that, just different mobo and ram model.

Naipross

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
Hl8GKTb.png

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40141955
UserBenchmarks: Game 82%, Desk 84%, Work 76%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 79.7%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti - 97.4%
SSD: XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro 256GB - 209.6%
SSD: Kingston SHFS37A480G 480GB - 54.8%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 99.5%
MBD: MSI B450M PRO-VDH PLUS (MS-7A38)

Also my friend who have a gtx 1050 ti which have the same technology and architecture gets more fps than me. So I should atleast have a little more fps since there is more to have. And also he's got same cpu same ram amount and that, just different mobo and ram model.
Get the latest bios......non-beta.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-PRO-VDH-PLUS#down-bios

While your there grab the chipset driver.

Something to note is if you have a bunch of tabs open in a browser or have a 1 or more peripheral rgb controller programs running like iCue, Razor Synapse, et cetera. Also, it would not be a bad idea to monitor CPU and GPU temps while in game to see if there is any significant temperature throttling. Watching GPU and CPU utilization would also help you identify your particular bottleneck.

If I were you I would do a clean boot and then start a bot game and check FPS there. Another thing I would try is to set performance bias in the Nvidia control panel under global 3d settings to Maximum performance if it is not already on that setting. In the power plan options check the PCI Express tab and make sure the link state power management setting is set to off. Make sure any and all FPS limiters and V-Sync options are set to off.

If after all this and the above suggestions you still get "only" 200fps than I cannot help you without some sort of new information. Good luck.

You also never mentioned what monitor refresh rate you have. What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor? Any FPS in excess of your monitors refresh rate is useless anyway. The only way going through all this is worth it is if you have a 200+ refresh rate monitor...

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 26, 2021
With that cpu I don't think 400 fps is possible but there's a few things you can do to improve fps go to control panel and check csgos preferences make sure it's set to high so it demands more power from GPU and CPU with current GPU on max settings 200 fps is good Im running a 2070 super and 3700x and I average about 400 fps and also helper is correct depending on what your monitor refresh rate you won't even notice difference from 200 to 400 fps.