Question Questionable frame rates ?

snekyninja

Reputable
Jan 30, 2020
cpu - i9-10900k
gpu - 4080 asus strix
mobo - asus apex 12 (for overclocking)
ram - patriot viper steel ddr4 16 gb (2,8 gb) performance

so ive ran my pc on stock, and on stable OC's the one i run alot is 5.1 gz on zpu and +85 hz core clock and +800 mem clock on gpu, and i usually just do auto xmp 1 on bios for RAM
and no matter waht i do, i cant seem to get constant 240 fps, in Apex legends and Lost ark, or pretty much any game, i can OC to 5.2 and get fairly constant 240 in apex. but im not trying to push my pc so hot and so hard 24/7.
when i have it at default, or even OC'd my CPU and GPU NEVER go above like 30-60% usage, EVER. so i feel like i should be able to hit 240 fps in most games since my gpu/cpu arent even pushing 60-80% EVER... idk why they wont work harder and give me more fps, honestly at a loss here and im breaking down to as for advice.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As in the other post, game engines can only run so fast with a given CPU.

Even if you upgrade the CPU, you might not see a huge improvement in minimum FPS due to game engine limitations. Though a jump to a Ryzen 7 7800X3D or i5-13600K/i7-13700K might make a difference. You would also want to go for the fastest memory you are willing to pay for to eliminate as many bottlenecks as possible.

Last edited:
Most games aren't designed to saturate a high-end processor, because games still have to be made to the lowest common denominator.

Also proper multithreading is extremely hard and so most developers don't really go for it unless they're pushed into a corner and they can't find any other avenues to increase performance.

Reactions: younusakbar681

snekyninja

Reputable
Jan 30, 2020
as of now i get frame drops running at 70 fps in lost ark, but i can get a constant 200 in apex legends... ALL settings on low, what im getting from these comments are to go through with my decision to upgrade my pc, i was just fairly confident with my build from not to long ago id be able to push it to gett alot more frames in games nowadays than im getting...

imma upgrade my whole pc then lol
get that nice 990 pro ssd even tho i have a 980 pro right now
upgrade ram to ddr5 5200 g skill ripjaws 32 gb ram 2x16 from my patriot viper steel ddr4 16 gb (2,8 gb) performance
and go up to i9 13900k from my i9 10900k
and get that new z790 apex mobo from my apex 12 , then i guess ill get the constant 240 frames in every game thats out
i was jsut hoping to wait out rebuilding my pc

Reactions: younusakbar681
Im guessing you are playing at 1080p - competitive game settings?

Then you will never see a card like the RTX 4080 been push by a esport game of sorts. That card will be pushed if you go up to 1440p and play some AAA title.

There are two limiting factors 1. CPU performance for 1 core, since most (if not all) games only really rely on only 1 core to do all the heavy lifting. 2. Game engine caps.
I do not know if your two games have number 2 issues.
But probably a faster cpu may be able to keep in pace with such a powerfull GPU (at 1080p). But keep in mind that at this point, a faster CPU alone is not enough, you will also need faster dual channel RAM (to really see some differnce, probably DDR5 6000 or higher).

So really what I will focus is on fix the frame drops and cpu temp first, before making any changes.

The ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 should be mroe than enough to keep the i9 10900K cool, so maybe its not working right?, or perhaps your case is to restrictive to airflow?

There are lots of things that can affect game performance. Even a bad OCing can deliver worst performance (frame drops sepcially) than stock settings.

snekyninja

Reputable
Jan 30, 2020
Im guessing you are playing at 1080p - competitive game settings?

Then you will never see a card like the RTX 4080 been push by a esport game of sorts. That card will be pushed if you go up to 1440p and play some AAA title.

There are two limiting factors 1. CPU performance for 1 core, since most (if not all) games only really rely on only 1 core to do all the heavy lifting. 2. Game engine caps.
I do not know if your two games have number 2 issues.
But probably a faster cpu may be able to keep in pace with such a powerfull GPU (at 1080p). But keep in mind that at this point, a faster CPU alone is not enough, you will also need faster dual channel RAM (to really see some differnce, probably DDR5 6000 or higher).

So really what I will focus is on fix the frame drops and cpu temp first, before making any changes.

The ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 should be mroe than enough to keep the i9 10900K cool, so maybe its not working right?, or perhaps your case is to restrictive to airflow?

There are lots of things that can affect game performance. Even a bad OCing can deliver worst performance (frame drops sepcially) than stock settings.

yes im a semi pro fps gamer on 1080p, and to my knowledge the hz on ram isnt as important as a lower CL which is why im going for the ram i posted above. vs a 6000 mhz ram with higher CL
case is Fractal Design Define 7 Black Brushed Aluminum/Steel E-ATX Silent Modular Dark Tempered Glass Window
i bought it cuz it is one of the best for airflow, i buy all my parts with optimization in mind, i dont hesitate to spend all the moeny for top end premium parts, as you cna tell from my build and the parts i listed as what im thinking about upgrading too

are you saying you think the water cooler might not be working right, or the CPU?

yes im a semi pro fps gamer on 1080p, and to my knowledge the hz on ram isnt as important as a lower CL which is why im going for the ram i posted above. vs a 6000 mhz ram with higher CL
case is Fractal Design Define 7 Black Brushed Aluminum/Steel E-ATX Silent Modular Dark Tempered Glass Window
i bought it cuz it is one of the best for airflow, i buy all my parts with optimization in mind, i dont hesitate to spend all the moeny for top end premium parts, as you cna tell from my build and the parts i listed as what im thinking about upgrading too

are you saying you think the water cooler might not be working right, or the CPU?
for high fps CL is a main thing, but there are other subtimings like read to read delays (tRDRDxx) and tRFC..writes arent important that much, those games usualy write during map loading, then its just about read latency

In that case you NEED to get the new Intel i9 13900KS, like right now!! Don't wait! MOAR FPS!!

Does it said CPU 66°C?, and you said thats idle temp?.... if thats the case it doesn't sound right for me. Then again I do not know where you live, or if theres too much heat inside your room.

Also lol.... Im not a semi pro on anything so don't worry too much about what I think or not.

snekyninja

Reputable
Jan 30, 2020
ROFL... you core voltage is at max and so does your peak power... if you were OC on an AMD GPUs, you would know that Undervolting your cores has BIG positive impact. on your OC.

This is a non-problem, it is a user problem...

my core voltage is not maxed. if you are refering to the silder at the top all that does is allow the pc to use the full voltage potential.
i have my voltage at 1.35 which is not max. it is the lowest the pc can handle while operating at the oc.
before you laugh at someone, do your research and know what ur talking about

snekyninja

Reputable
Jan 30, 2020
Does it said CPU 66°C?, and you said thats idle temp?.... if thats the case it doesn't sound right for me. Then again I do not know where you live, or if theres too much heat inside your room.

Also lol.... Im not a semi pro on anything so don't worry too much about what I think or not.

my room is well ventilated, and no heat issues

my room is well ventilated, and no heat issues

Then I will stick to what I wrote ealier. If you ask me and if the OCing is well done, cause there are many ways to screw it, with a 360mm radiator and a well ventilated case like the one you posted (if the fans are in the right place and orientation), I would say something is not quite right with those temps: idle: ~63°C and hitting the 90°C, perhaps is only 1 core.... then again still strange, for me at least.

Hover around 80°C shouldn't be a concern for a Core 9 10900K.

Frame drops could very well be related to thermal throttling. But is kinda hard to know for sure when you can not see the BIOS settings, nor the PC interior.

snekyninja

Reputable
Jan 30, 2020
Then I will stick to what I wrote ealier. If you ask me and if the OCing is well done, cause there are many ways to screw it, with a 360mm radiator and a well ventilated case like the one you posted (if the fans are in the right place and orientation), I would say something is not quite right with those temps: idle: ~63°C and hitting the 90°C, perhaps is only 1 core.... then again still strange, for me at least.

Hover around 80°C shouldn't be a concern for a Core 9 10900K.

Frame drops could very well be related to thermal throttling. But is kinda hard to know for sure when you can not see the BIOS settings, nor the PC interior.

i thought it might not be working 100% either, ill have to take it apart and put some OC thermal paste on it instead of the original thermal paste it came with and hope it works better, im 99% sure i have the fan orientations correct
and yea i know it thermal throttles around 95degrees
but it only spikes that high when im opening a game

i thought it might not be working 100% either, ill have to take it apart and put some OC thermal paste on it instead of the original thermal paste it came with and hope it works better, im 99% sure i have the fan orientations correct
and yea i know it thermal throttles around 95degrees
but it only spikes that high when im opening a game

• Well if you ask me, theres no such thing as OC thermal paste, no matter what the envelope says (unless you are using special cooling methods like LN2, which is not the case here). There are very good thermal paste, not soo good thermal paste, horrible thermal paste, and theres some paste that will also work better with really cold (under 0°c) temps.
  • And no matter what game you open/load the cpu should not go as high as 90°~95°C unless theres something really wrong with software and/or hardware.
  • You can try to reapply new thermal paste. How old is this AIO you are using? cause... Not sure the thermal paste alone will fix your issue. (I wana believe the heatsink plastic cover was removed before the installation, right?).

Then again not been able to sit in front of the system makes it hard to diagnose it. I would also try to confirm the pump is actually working.

Whatever you do be very carefull. When posible turn off the system and unplug it from the power socket. You are doing it at your own risk so go slow and carefully.

snekyninja

Reputable
Jan 30, 2020
  • Well if you ask me, theres no such thing as OC thermal paste, no matter what the envelope says (unless you are using special cooling methods like LN2, which is not the case here). There are very good thermal paste, not soo good thermal paste, horrible thermal paste, and theres some paste that will also work better with really cold (under 0°c) temps.
  • And no matter what game you open/load the cpu should not go as high as 90°~95°C unless theres something really wrong with software and/or hardware.
  • You can try to reapply new thermal paste. How old is this AIO you are using? cause... Not sure the thermal paste alone will fix your issue. (I wana believe the heatsink plastic cover was removed before the installation, right?).
Then again not been able to sit in front of the system makes it hard to diagnose it. I would also try to confirm the pump is actually working.

Whatever you do be very carefull. When posible turn off the system and unplug it from the power socket. You are doing it at your own risk so go slow and carefully.
its just higher quality thermal paste, built to not dry out as fast and withstand higher temps than the standard thermal paste used by most companies when tyour pc componants come with thermal paste on it, such as my water cooler already had thermal paste on it when i purchased it.
and yes plastic was removed 10000000%
this is my 4th personal custom pc, and my 8th pc in general ive built since i was 18 ( im 30 now) my dads network administer for all of the saint lukes networks, and was like 4 steps down from ceo of cysco systmes, i was toaught by the best on how to put pcs together so im 99% sure ive done everything correctly

Reactions: RodroX
its just higher quality thermal paste, built to not dry out as fast and withstand higher temps than the standard thermal paste used by most companies when tyour pc componants come with thermal paste on it, such as my water cooler already had thermal paste on it when i purchased it.
and yes plastic was removed 10000000%
this is my 4th personal custom pc, and my 8th pc in general ive built since i was 18 ( im 30 now) my dads network administer for all of the saint lukes networks, and was like 4 steps down from ceo of cysco systmes, i was toaught by the best on how to put pcs together so im 99% sure ive done everything correctly

Yes I know most AIO, tower coolers, stock fans, etc. comes with pre-applied thermal paste (some is decent, other is not).
Far as I am aware, Arctic include decent thermal paste on their AIO, then again I do not know how old your is, or if they (Arctic chnaged the pre-applied paste recently).

And I insist with he same (redgarl pointed that too already), maybe hardware is not the issue here (or at least not the only issue with your temps).

So let me put it, again, in a different way. Far as I am aware, with a 360mm radiator, you shouldn't be having such a high temp spikes (or idle temp for that manner) while playing FPS games, unless theres something (or many things) wrong.

My dad was, after many years of hard work, a HR executive on a well know business here (Argentina). He had no clue about PC or networking, but he tried really hard to learn. He got us (me and my brothers) our first PC when I was around 11 years old (bros were around 10 and 3 years old). This was with a lot of effort since he didn't have an awesome salary, we were ok.
We had no one to teach us, there was no Windows, no access to the prehistoric internet. DOS was all we knew for many years, and so we learn it.
When I was 18 I had already build a few PCs with close to no help but some PC magazines, I had a few clients, and I my real first work for a french Duke which had a business here in Argentina. The Duke didn't trust PC technicias in france lol. I worked for him for over 20 years. I really don't know how many PC I have build already (45 years old).

There are way more smart people than me here. If Im not in the correct path here, I bet someone else will come to help.

-- > See, drivingfast247 has a good point up there.