[SOLVED] Questionable performance after upgrading rig?

joan.arch.enemy

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018
Hello there!

So just a few weeks back I upgraded my PC, but for some reason while gaming it doesn't feel as smooth as it should, here are the main specs:

Mobo: MSI B450-A Pro Max
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Zotac gaming RTX 2070 mini
RAM: 16GB 2200mhz

I've checked with MSI afterburner and temps and cpu/gpu usage seems fine, I can reach stable 60 fps on some games (or just around 50 on Metro Exodus for instance) but it still doesn't feel smooth...
I'm thinking the 2200mhz ram and the 60hz monitor have something to do with it but still... Any idea where the problem could be? Thanks!

Solution
Couple things.

1. If you upgraded your motherboard you pretty much need to do a full reinstall of Windows. I know it sucks but performance issues and stability still plague Windows (contrary to what Microsoft says) when you change mobo/chipset hardware.

2. 2200mhz RAM is sloooow for Ryzen and there is a significant performance hit of 5-15% depending on application especially if this is a single stick in single channel. You should pair Ryzens with a Dual Channel kit of 3200mhz or faster RAM.
Couple things.

1. If you upgraded your motherboard you pretty much need to do a full reinstall of Windows. I know it sucks but performance issues and stability still plague Windows (contrary to what Microsoft says) when you change mobo/chipset hardware.

2. 2200mhz RAM is sloooow for Ryzen and there is a significant performance hit of 5-15% depending on application especially if this is a single stick in single channel. You should pair Ryzens with a Dual Channel kit of 3200mhz or faster RAM.

Reactions: bobjackieson
Solution

joan.arch.enemy

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018
Couple things.

Yeah I thought about the full reinstall, I read somewhere it was not needed after the upgrade and the PC was working fine so I assumed everything went well XD

Then the ram will be next on the upgrade list, thanks a lot!

Yeah I thought about the full reinstall, I read somewhere it was not needed after the upgrade and the PC was working fine so I assumed everything went well XD

Then the ram will be next on the upgrade list, thanks a lot!

I assume you went from either an Intel or older AMD FX CPU to the Ryzen. If so that most likely is your issue. If you swapped from an older Ryzen Mobo then although some have no issues the recommendation to reinstall still stands. However if you simply upgraded the CPU then there shouldn't be any performance issues associated with the upgrade and simply clearing CMOS may help.

joan.arch.enemy

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018
I assume you went from either an Intel or older AMD FX CPU to the Ryzen. If so that most likely is your issue. If you swapped from an older Ryzen Mobo then although some have no issues the recommendation to reinstall still stands. However if you simply upgraded the CPU then there shouldn't be any performance issues associated with the upgrade and simply clearing CMOS may help.
Yes, I upgraded from an old i5 3570... Much needed change..

And I changed everything except for the hard drive (will get an ssd at some point soon tho) so I will definetly go for the full reinstall