[SOLVED] questioning a CPU cooler

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
I found a very suspiciously cheap CPU cooler in an named "ice-man" which I can't find what even manufacturer is or who made it/where it is from but the pipes & heatsink look so promising, should I buy it? i attach a few images, couldn't find any reviews of it, I currently have a 2 pipe simple tower cooler (CM hyper t20)
unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png

very sus price of less than 30$, my poor 6700k isn't hitting 70c with my current cooler anyway, idk if It's worth giving a shot, maybe if I upgraded in future, it'd be good even for my current cpu

Solution
Depends on what you upgraded to. Going to be a new line of coolers for AM5 (LGA1718) and Intel LGA1700.

Six direct contact heatpipes is decent, two on the outer edge probably not doing a whole lot with most CPUs. Small fans though, and a lot of them, might be quite loud. And given the cost, they are going to be really really cheap fans.

Clip on installation doesn't inspire confidence. Very old school and something only AMD has really stuck to.

I would say the cooler is probably fine, the fans are probably terrible, and mounting pressure might be inconsistent.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on what you upgraded to. Going to be a new line of coolers for AM5 (LGA1718) and Intel LGA1700.

Six direct contact heatpipes is decent, two on the outer edge probably not doing a whole lot with most CPUs. Small fans though, and a lot of them, might be quite loud. And given the cost, they are going to be really really cheap fans.

Clip on installation doesn't inspire confidence. Very old school and something only AMD has really stuck to.

I would say the cooler is probably fine, the fans are probably terrible, and mounting pressure might be inconsistent.

Solution

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I found a very suspiciously cheap CPU cooler in an named "ice-man" which I can't find what even manufacturer is or who made it/where it is from but the pipes & heatsink look so promising, should I buy it? i attach a few images, couldn't find any reviews of it, I currently have a 2 pipe simple tower cooler (CM hyper t20)
unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png

very sus price of less than 30$, my poor 6700k isn't hitting 70c with my current cooler anyway, idk if It's worth giving a shot, maybe if I upgraded in future, it'd be good even for my current cpu

Give it a pass, for 30 bucks you can get a Gammaxx 400 or something similar. Much better performance for the same price.

If you're planning to keep the cooler for future platforms, the Gammaxx lineup is a better deal assuming Intel's new platform still uses the same mounting as they've been these past few years.

Going AMD? Might as well not get a cooler now and see the new AM5 compatible ones later.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png

This is a Chinese made cooler usually sold on ebay or Ali. They are a non-brand product with just a "catchy" name, but according to some reviews on those websites, they are decent for low to mid tier processors.