[SOLVED] Questioning my CPU temp/ May cause bluescreen overheating..

May 5, 2020
I really need some advice about the proper cpu temp and what it should be. Long story short I've been trying to figure out for a couple weeks why I'm getting blue screens and I'm starting to lean more toward the idea that it might just be overheating. Now before anything else I already opened it & cleaned it out thoroughly twice, so not a spec of dust is in there. all the fans work and are spinning, but yesterday when I came downstairs to another blue screen the error I keep getting is MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and when I turned it off and opened it up the motherboard, cpu fan heatsink almost everything felt pretty hot to the touch. The thing is I have my tower sitting in the bottom of my computer desk, that has a perfect space for a tower next to my leg and a door in the front that closes in front. It feels a little warm in there when I open that door but not too bad, I'm just trying to figure out basically if these issues are due to overheating... and basically the blue screens and freezing usually only seem to happen overnight (hasn't shut down on me ever). But I'm thinking about switching over to a basic liquid cooler, like maybe this one - ( https://www.newegg.com/evga-clc-120-cl11-liquid-cooling-system/p/N82E16835288013?Item=9SIA2F88M20972&Description=liquid cpu cooler&cm_re=liquid_cpu_cooler--35-288-013--Product&quicklink=true ) I have an older LGA1366 board and I don't want a crazy complex cooling system with the reservoir and many tubes because they look too crazy to install so this one looks simple and easy to install, but would it drastically decrease the temp ? Wondering if its worth it to buy because I only wanna get it if it'll help with the help, and I don't game on here or do anything too crazy. I'm posting a screenshot link of my CoreTemp specs here because I'm not sure what the ideal temp should be and if its getting too hot and overheating, so thats my current temp right now but couldnt see what it was when I got the blue screen earlier. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

cpu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
What is the BSOD Stopcode?

(From Wikipedia: A machine-check exception (MCE) is a type of computer hardware error that occurs when a computer's central processing unit detects an unrecoverable hardware error in the processor itself, the memory, the I/O devices, or on the system bus. It is not caused by software. The error usually occurs due to component failure or the overheating or overclocking of hardware components.)

is the space your computer is in allowing it to have proper ventilation? It could be that, as if the pc is shoved into a tight space it may be starving of air.

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019

(From Wikipedia: A machine-check exception (MCE) is a type of computer hardware error that occurs when a computer's central processing unit detects an unrecoverable hardware error in the processor itself, the memory, the I/O devices, or on the system bus. It is not caused by software. The error usually occurs due to component failure or the overheating or overclocking of hardware components.)

is the space your computer is in allowing it to have proper ventilation? It could be that, as if the pc is shoved into a tight space it may be starving of air.

Solution
May 5, 2020

The code just said Machine_Check_Exception just like that. But yes my towers in a small tighter space in my computer desk that has a space specifically made for a tower to sit in and it gets a little hot in there, so I was thinking it might be that. But I also wouldn't go by a Wikipedia article for facts, and plus not to mention it covers a few things, it could be hardware related (which I was starting to think at one point) or it might just be overheating, so I'm not sure. I'm trying to pinpoint what it could be. I'm debating on buying a liquid cooler because that might help a lot but I've been dealing with this issue for quite a while and already reinstalled windows a few times so I'm frustrated haha

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
The code just said Machine_Check_Exception just like that. But yes my towers in a small tighter space in my computer desk that has a space specifically made for a tower to sit in and it gets a little hot in there, so I was thinking it might be that. But I also wouldn't go by a Wikipedia article for facts, and plus not to mention it covers a few things, it could be hardware related (which I was starting to think at one point) or it might just be overheating, so I'm not sure. I'm trying to pinpoint what it could be. I'm debating on buying a liquid cooler because that might help a lot but I've been dealing with this issue for quite a while and already reinstalled windows a few times so I'm frustrated haha
I would try placing your pc on top of your desk to see if that helps with your overheating issues before going out to buy any parts. If the issue persists, then yes, I’d buy a new cooler.

May 5, 2020
I would try placing your pc on top of your desk to see if that helps with your overheating issues before going out to buy any parts. If the issue persists, then yes, I’d buy a new cooler.

Yeah I've been doing that, & so far so good but I have to wait a few days because its usually the next morning or so But someone else in another thread said the temps are fine and its normal. I guess Im gonna try a few more hardware things and might have to replace some parts.. I cant even run proper diagnostics on my SSD in case its that

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah I've been doing that, & so far so good but I have to wait a few days because its usually the next morning or so But someone else in another thread said the temps are fine and its normal. I guess Im gonna try a few more hardware things and might have to replace some parts.. I cant even run proper diagnostics on my SSD in case its that
Yea, those temps are normal.
I’d test the other components to see the culprit, starting with RAM, then test the SSD, etc

May 5, 2020
Yea, those temps are normal.
I’d test the other components to see the culprit, starting with RAM, then test the SSD, etc

Well, to be fair those temps in the screenshot weren't when I got that blue screen, that was after I turned it back on, after it was off for a few mins so that's why it cooled down is all I'm saying. Must've been a little hotter when it happened. Also do you know an accurate way of testing RAM ? I can't test my SSD according to Samsung there's no proper diagnostics for my drive, and I've tested out almost everything else.
It's just strange how after I've been running it with the side panel off not in the same spot its been getting a little more airflow & I haven't had a problem so far... Just don't know what else it could be

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Well, to be fair those temps in the screenshot weren't when I got that blue screen, that was after I turned it back on, after it was off for a few mins so that's why it cooled down is all I'm saying. Must've been a little hotter when it happened. Also do you know an accurate way of testing RAM ? I can't test my SSD according to Samsung there's no proper diagnostics for my drive, and I've tested out almost everything else.
It's just strange how after I've been running it with the side panel off not in the same spot its been getting a little more airflow & I haven't had a problem so far... Just don't know what else it could be
You can run either Windows memory diagnostics or MemTest. You can figure out how to do either with a google search.
Memtest does, however, require you to put it on a USB drive and boot to it.

Reactions: JRose4123
May 5, 2020
So after all this time I did figure out what the issue was if anyone was wondering, but it turns out this whole time the culprit was my printer. I have an older HP photosmart and I realized I cant leave the USB cable plugged in, or it at least turned on because when I did I would come downstairs the next morning to my comp and it would either give me a blue screen or would completely freeze up and I would be forced to hit the reset or the power button to restart. I reinstalled windows and tested out a million things but since then it hasnt been plugged in and no problems anymore! I thought maybe it was the printer drivers at one point but I downloaded them right fron the site so it wasnt that. (Seriously thought it was overheating for a minute there though)