[SOLVED] Questioning the Ryzen 3000 Series, 12 Cores/16 Cores (7nm)? FX Stunt?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
19-113-102-V02.jpg

The Ryzen 3000 series with 12 cores/ 24 threads or 16 Cores/32 Threads? That all i been seeing...all computer news articles seem to be following it...is it true or going be 8 Cores /16 Thread again....

Last edited:
Solution
Uhhh....It looks like AMD's CSGO 9900k number pretty much perfectly matches 1080p high AVG in your chart.
While 1080 med runs 100FPS faster,do you have any understanding on what benchmarks are?
If zen2 can't hit the same 500FPS mark it's not just as fast it's a 25% difference in speed.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Wait, are the more modern "hugely multicore" (for lack of a better term) Intel chips able to surpass the score of the 7960X while running at only 4.2Ghz?

Not being facetious about this, I don't actually know, but my understanding is that, while Intel's IPC has been better than AMD's, their IPC improvements each generation have been very minimal.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
You do agree it exists?
Imagine you are management and have to decide on what CPU to get,give me one reason you would err on the side of potentially loosing that much performance.
Wait, are the more modern "hugely multicore" (for lack of a better term) Intel chips able to surpass the score of the 7960X while running at only 4.2Ghz?

Not being facetious about this, I don't actually know, but my understanding is that, while Intel's IPC has been better than AMD's, their IPC improvements each generation have been very minimal.

No, the 9960x is basically the same cpu, with some slight clock speed changes.

One thing LGA2066 cpus have that AM4 cpus will likely never have, a bunch of memory channels and a ton of pcie lanes, lthough pcie4.0 might help.
Intels IPC changes over the generations are small, however so was the IPc increase between 1st gen and 2nd gen ryzen.
I feel 7nm shrink and other optimizations will help bring amds ipc and value up. Maybe past intel, who knows.
The days are winding down till we get announcements.

InvalidError

Titan
One thing LGA2066 cpus have that AM4 cpus will likely never have, a bunch of memory channels and a ton of pcie lanes, lthough pcie4.0 might help.
Most people buying into AM4 neither need or care about extra memory channels and extra PCIe lanes.

For the few who do, AMD has TR4 and there again, AMD has a crushing performance-per-dollar advantage over Intel.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Another good news for Ryzen 3000: Zen-2 CPUs get JEDEC 3200 MHz Specification without overclocking, said to support 4000Mhz++ when overclocked.
Right now just overhyped AMD Fanboys spreading some sort of information that they came up and posted on social media and articles comments sections. "Oh Look .... AdoredTV spreaded some information and we going follow it."
Feels like it going be indeed another AMD surprise....a distraction away from quality of performance on the cpu being not the best.

Intel still the crown in gaming even with security issues and productions issues (mostly can be resolved easily but decided not to allow AMD to step up their business in CPU market)

Last edited:
Innocent untill proven guilty. Untill amd either confirms or denys these claims, we cant call them liers, but we cant really prove them correct either.

"Tum_Apisak has turned up a six-core Ryzen 3000 series model in a Geekbench test result.
The mysterious third-generation Ryzen chip lines up with some of the information shared earlier this year by AdoredTV, which also predicted a 16-core Ryzen model would come to market."

So basically this geekbench result confirms at least part of AdoredTVs leaks are correct. Id expect other parts to be correct aswell.

This is an interesting article.
Source:https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-six-core-processor,39436.html

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
If Jim @ AdoredTV is completely full of it seems like an awfully big gamble. Why would this guy stake his credibility, (and there for his income) on complete BS. At some point you think he would have backed off if he thought things were going the wrong direction. I suspect all of doubters will be serving up a fat juicy crow for dinner.

At this point there is nothing else to say really. We should find out on Monday if the hype is true. I don't even really care personally. If zen 2 better than zen and zen + (which it certainly will be) , and continues to provide incredible value, it will be a great solution for myself and many others.

I use both brands in my builds. I just prefer AMD's value proposition in about 95% of configs. If you look at it objectively, Intel's superior gaming performance usually only rears its head in niche scenarios. The vast majority of people will be better served by AMD's pricing than they are by Intel's gaming advantage. Intel has consistently been one of the most anti consumer tech companies in the industry over the years. It's kind of hard to not cheer for them to be humbled. At least in the short term. At the end of the day I'm a fanboi of competition forcing these companies to win consumers on merit and value rather than brand loyalty.

Last edited:
If Jim @ AdoredTV is completely full of it seems like an awfully big gamble. Why would this guy stake his credibility, (and there for his income) on complete BS. At some point you think he would have backed off if he thought things were going the wrong direction. I suspect all of doubters will be serving up a fat juicy crow for dinner.

At this point there is nothing else to say really. We should find out on Monday if the hype is true. I don't even really care personally. If zen 2 better than zen and zen + (which it certainly will be) , and continues to provide incredible value, it will be a great solution for myself and many others.

I use both brands in my builds. I just prefer AMD's value proposition in about 95% of configs. If you look at it objectively, Intel's superior gaming performance usually only rears its head in niche scenarios. The vast majority of people will be better served by AMD's pricing than they are by Intel's gaming advantage. Intel has consistently been one of the most anti consumer tech companies in the industry over the years. It's kind of hard to not cheer for them to be humbled. At least in the short term. At the end of the day I'm a fanboi of competition forcing these companies to win consumers on merit and value rather than brand loyalty.
There is only value in something that you actually get to use,ryzen is only great value if you are doing 3d rendering if you don't then ryzen is just suckering you into spending too much money on a CPU that will never give you any good value because it has sub par performance in anything an actual user would ever run,well it still gives you good value because it's so cheap but it's not that much better if any better at all if you exclude anything that is irrelevant to the normal user.
Intel's superior gaming performance rears its head in every single game since even a i5-9400/f with 6 plain cores is faster than a 8c/16t ryzen in every heavily multithreaded game.

Reactions: valeman2012

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Intel's superior gaming performance rears its head in every single game since even a i5-9400/f with 6 plain cores is faster than a 8c/16t ryzen in every heavily multithreaded game.
With what GPU? At what resolution? At what quality settings? With what monitor? Does it have adaptive sync? How consistent are frame times?

This assertion is complete nonsense unless these things are factored in. End user experience isn't dictated by graphs on a benchmark with a flagship GPU set to 1080p medium.

Last edited:
The 9400f is overall 1-2% faster than a 2600x in games.
Try to run something in the background while gaming, the 2600x 12 threads now win.
Try to video edit, the 2600x win. Try to run a vm, the 2600x wins by a lot more than 1-2%.
The 2700x has an even higher turbo and 2 more cores, so it would win nearly every time.

Reactions: rigg42
There is only value in something that you actually get to use,ryzen is only great value if you are doing 3d rendering if you don't then ryzen is just suckering you into spending too much money on a CPU that will never give you any good value because it has sub par performance in anything an actual user would ever run,well it still gives you good value because it's so cheap but it's not that much better if any better at all if you exclude anything that is irrelevant to the normal user.

By that logic, why do the 9900k, 9700k, 8086k and 8700k exist when a 9600k gets pretty much identical fps in most games while costing much less? Talk about "suckering" into overspending.
Although, you could just get a r5 2600 for even cheaper and still not notice any real world difference in performance. In fact, you'd get better performance as with the money saved going from a 9900k to a 2600 alone you'd be able to afford a RTX 2060.

If you want to game at high resolution, you are best dropping your money on a lower cost cpu like a 9400f or 2600x and upping your gpu budget.
You will be largely gpu bound, so your choice of cpu can be cut back.
If you want something like 1080p 240hz, your gpu matters about as much as your cpu.

Ok guys, its that time. Im watching the stream.

Showed an epyc cpu beating a dual xeon platinum system in some atom rendering thiny.
Navi launching in july. Based on rdna, the successor to GCN. Im glad its not gcn.
Showed rx 5000series gpu (named from the 50th anniversary) beating a 2070 by 10% in strange Brigade. This game favors amd.
More navi info in june 10th at e3.

Ps4 based on zen2+navi

Microsoft partnered with amd.

Asus briefy showed an x570 board with active cooling.

Acer using new amd cpu+gpu as well as "competitors products" in high end predator laptops.
Acer desktops to use navi+ryzen. 7nm

Ryzen 3000
2x cache
2x fpu
15% ipc uplift

Ryzen 7 3700x 8core16t 36mb cache 4.4 turbo 3.6 base
65w tdp
15-18% above 2700x
$329
Ryzen 7 3800x 8c16t 4.5ghz 3.9base 36mb cache 105w tdp. Showed gaming benchmarks. Tied 9900k in pubG.
$399
Confirms we will get more than 8 cores with
Ryzen 9 3900x 12c24t 4.6ghz boost 3.8ghz 70mb cache 105w.
Ryzen 9 3900x beats I9 9920x in blender.
$499
On sale july 7th.

Last edited:

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Not sure about the 3800x. 100mhz higher boost clocks for 40 watts of power? Seems they could've skipped that model entirely and gone from 3700x R7 to 3900x R9.
and...got AMD Fanboys hyped up for nothing ..>The Ryzen 3700/X is more likely not a 12 CORE / 24 Threads....even wrost the 3800X is 8 Cores
Not sure about the 3800x. 100mhz higher boost clocks for 40 watts of power? Seems they could've skipped that model entirely and gone from 3700x to 3900x.
Ryzen 7 3700/X is NOT going be 12 Cores Processor as people was hyped about....the higher it goes the more cost

Lol i just said that above. This is what AMDs CEO said
Ryzen 7=8c/16t $329-399
Ryzen 9=12c/24t $499
Mid 4ghz clocks. Not great, but with a 15% ipc uplift, this makes for good performance.

They had an AMD Ryzen 7 3800x tying a 9900x in pubg, a largely 1 thread dependent game.

I'll be zoinking that Ryzen 9 the day it comes on sale. The 9900ks will be dead on arrival and will be remembered as Intel's last desperate attempt to stop AMD.
Of course valeman and the other fanboys will be in denial as always.

You'll notice the AMD-published gaming comparisons seemed to only pit the 3700X with the 2700X, etc....and although there were very some very nice gains, you'd think if even the 9700K were trounced or even equaled in gaming, we'd all surely know it by now.....

Taking the non-hyperthreaded 9700K with an SMT CPU with twice the threads by 38% in Cinebench is one thing....

Out-gaming the 9900K, however, seems possibly just out of reach (at least with what we've been shown so far), or I think it would be have showcased....; the upcoming 9900KS, with 400 MHz higher base clocks and now all core 5 GHz turbo will likely reign in gaming for some time to come....

If these processors can approach even the 9600K/9700K in gaming performance, I'm sure fans will be happy....

Status
Not open for further replies.