[SOLVED] Questions about a cheap upgrade on an old pc mainly for gaming

HarryLostone

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
Hello ! Sorry for any poor english interpretation 🆒
My old friend is becoming too old for all the new titles that are coming out and I'm gonna give him a small boost. I want it to be able to play ALL the new titles, and I don't mind doing it in medium settings, for the next 2-3 years at least.

My current build is

CPU i5 4670K @ 3.80GHz (4c/4t)
MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING mobo
(2x8) 16 gb Kingston CL10 @1600Mhz RAM
MSI gtx 760 TF/OC 2gb GPU
Corsair 750w (gold) PSU
Kingston A400 480gb SSD + WD caviar green 2TB HDD

I do game on 1080p, I don't mind staying there for a while (until i get a better monitor i guess), but I would like to know how will the upgraded build do on 1440p

So, the games I do play often are Dota2 and CS:GO, for these two i'm getting high FPS anyway, but I love to waste my time on RPGs. I have played every major RPG title that came out until 2018, of course I had to lower my settings on medium and low at some point, mainly because the 2gb on the GPU are not capable to handle anything anymore.
I want to make it easy for me, and I decided to upgrade only the CPU and GPU since everything else seems to be working fine for my expectations, for example I never had more demand for ram for any desktop tasks (aside gaming i'm just a casual user).

I checked the market and I can find for about 100$ an used i7-4790k, which I consider a huge upgrade since my i5 is still OK but well, it is gonna underperform at some point.
So, from 3.8Ghz I will reach 4.4Ghz, 4c/4t will become 4c/8t, and 6MB cache will become 8MB, with better temperatures in case i wanna overclock, these, without having to change motherboard.

So now, I have to choose a GPU to be able, as I said, to play the new AAA-RPG titles, on 1080p (and maybe 1440p), even if that means that I have to do it on medium/high settings instead of high/ultra. I'm a simple man after all.

Budget-wise, I am willing to spend less than 200$ for the GPU alone. Also, I've been told that 8gb VRAM is becoming the new "standard" for gaming, so I guess I'm not willing to buy 4gb or 6gb but you can change my mind, since i just want my rig to last at least 2-3 years without having to upgrade. The GPU must be new, I like to have the 2-3 years warranty just to be sure. That said, my options are limited to Radeon GPUs and specifically to

RX 570 8gb (the MSI OC costs 155$ new)
and RX 580 8gb (the XFX rs xxx costs 183$ new)
I live in Europe (greece), so any huge discount on the other side of the planet wont really work on me :)

So, 1st question: Will the above rig (with the new CPU and any potential new GPU) perform "ok" to my gaming demands on 1080p ? on 1440p ?
2nd: Which new GPU would you buy for less than 200$ (no matter the specs, im open to any suggestions, I just mentioned the two most viable options I found)
3rd: At the end of the month the new amd gpus are coming out, will this affect the prices of the older gpus to the point that i will be able to buy for less than 200$ a gpu that now costs 200$+ ? Does it worth waiting or the low priced GPUs im looking for, are not gonna be affected by it ?

Thanks for any reply, we are getting through difficult times, so be safe and remember that gaming (apparently) saves lives :)

Solution
In your case, the upgrade to a 4790k, and a new GPU is probably your best option. The RX 580 is still a fairly solid 1080p card. Dota2 and CS:GO you should be able to run at 1440p, fairly easy. With the new AMD GPU's supposedly being higher end models, I am not sure if we will see a price shift, down the stack. We might depending on how Nvidia reacts to the launch. It wouldn't be a bad idea to wait till the dust settles, from the launch. With the Big Navi announcement being only 2 weeks away, I would say wait it out a bit, GPU side. If you can snag a good deal, on a 4790k, definitely do so. It will really help you having those extra threads.

logainofhades

Titan
In your case, the upgrade to a 4790k, and a new GPU is probably your best option. The RX 580 is still a fairly solid 1080p card. Dota2 and CS:GO you should be able to run at 1440p, fairly easy. With the new AMD GPU's supposedly being higher end models, I am not sure if we will see a price shift, down the stack. We might depending on how Nvidia reacts to the launch. It wouldn't be a bad idea to wait till the dust settles, from the launch. With the Big Navi announcement being only 2 weeks away, I would say wait it out a bit, GPU side. If you can snag a good deal, on a 4790k, definitely do so. It will really help you having those extra threads.

Reactions: HarryLostone
Solution

SH Gaming

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
Also the msi 1660 preforms a little better than the rx580 (yes it does have 6gb of vram) but I ran games Testing a GPU that had 6gb of VRAM (gtx 1060) and it did better than my rx580 Which knowing the 1660 does better than the 1060 and the rx580, it would be a good choice. It would help if you did research for some of your parts

SH Gaming

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
in a nutshell, GTX 1660 (if you can find a good deal on it) RX580, and if possible a used GTX 1070 would all be good choices. The rx580 and the 1660 are just slightly over $200 from what I have seen but I could be wrong

HarryLostone

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
I guess that I would have to choose between RX 580 and GTX 1660, a battle that seems quite tough. 580 costs 190$+- and 1660 costs 210$, so i guess im gonna wait a few weeks to see if these prices are gonna drop, and I will buy whatever has the biggest price drop.
Thank you for all the answers, have fun :)