Question Questions about BEST High End build currently for gaming.

Jason Vaizard Kouros

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
Hello there,

I will be finally building the PC of my dreams meant for gaming + streaming (plus future proofing as I always do) and would like some solid recommendations on it since I am not familiar with a lot of new tech information on the matter currently.
My budget will be about 5000 euros (including a 4k, low MS + high HZ monitor in the budget but leave out any other peripherals).

I will be hitting an RTX 4090 for example. But not sure which brand or model to go for , same for MOBO, RAM and PSU... for CPU I ll be going for 13900K (not sure KS is worth the difference but throw in an idea on that too). Not sure about which NVMe either, was considering maybe WD Black SN850X but open to recommendations. I am also completely in the dark about a casing that has good, proper cooling and possibly slots / supporting hydrocooling in case I decide to install in the future.

Thank you in advance for your time :)

if you want future proof system with easily replaceable parts i would advice you to build your pc around AM5 platform :
(you can easily swap cpus as you see fit in the future whereas on LGA1700 the i9 13900KS is already the single best cpu that would ever be released on this platfrom -
this winter 14th gen will come and it will be on a different socket again)

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D 4.4 GHz 12-Core Processor | $589.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Deepcool AK620 ZERO DARK 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler | $69.98 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Asus ROG STRIX X670E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard | $421.82 @ Amazon
Memory | Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6600 CL32 Memory | $324.99 @ Corsair
Storage | Western Digital Black SN850X w/Heatsink 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive | $179.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive | $249.99 @ Adorama
Video Card | Asus ROG STRIX GAMING GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card | $1969.98 @ Newegg
Case | Fractal Design Define 7 Dark ATX Mid Tower Case | $194.99 @ B&H
Power Supply | be quiet! Dark Power 13 850 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $249.90 @ B&H
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $4251.63
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-18 09:39 EDT-0400 |

LGA1700/Z790 platform comes to end of life this winter ,
meaning if you wish to upgrade your cpu in the future new intel cpus (14th gen upwards will not be compatible) and you will need to replace your motherboard as well
if you buy AM5 motherboard there will be new processors for this platform available in the future for potential upgrades
(you will just update your bios and you are good to go)

Jason Vaizard Kouros

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
LGA1700/Z790 platform comes to end of life this winter ,
meaning if you wish to upgrade your cpu in the future new intel cpus (14th gen upwards will not be compatible) and you will need to replace your motherboard as well
if you buy AM5 motherboard there will be new processors for this platform available in the future for potential upgrades
(you will just update your bios and you are good to go)

Does that mobo support DDR5?

"future proofing" is an illusion.
By the time you want an improved processor in two years or more, it will require a new motherboard, regardless.
Buy what you need/want for now, and possibly up to two years.
After that, your needs may change and the price/performance of components will surely change.
Today, you get comparable price/performance in processors from Intel or amd at every price point.
If you look at the specs of posters, those with amd will tout amd, and those with Intel will suggest intel(me included)
If you come from an intel pc, stick with Intel, and if you come from amd, stick with amd. There is a learning curve when switching.

On your initial questions, I have no idea as to what brand of 4090 might be best.
The basic chips all come from Nvidia. The cards will differ in cooling capabilities as well as the level of factory overclocks.
You will get fair value except from the most aggressive overclocks.
If you want fast action gaming at 4k resolution, buy the best gpu you can.

It the monitor, I would look for a larger wider 4k monitor.
40" perhaps.
It will be more immersive. Go see an actual candidate in person if you can.
Otherwise consult a good review site like rtings.com.
Here is one review:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/rog-swift-oled-pg42uq

Today, for gaming, the I9-13900K and the r9 7950X3d are comparable.
And huge performers. The 7950X3d is specifically for gaming and has a marginal boost there. But, the tradeoff is that it is not quite as good elsewhere.
My take is that the differences are so small to be not a factor.
Since you have such a good budget, I would look at the 13900KS which is a highly binned(and more expensive) 13900K.

No real benefit from chasing high sequential nvme benchmark specs.
These experts could not tell the difference:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

Today, I think Samsung which makes their own parts is likely to be more reliable long term.

Cases are a personal thing. Buy a case with the looks that you love.
To some extent, the case you buy is influenced by your choice of liquid or air cooling. For air, which I am more familiar, you need 160mm headroom and want at least two front 140mm intake fans. Preferably with a washable filter to keep your parts clean.
Many will tout aio coolers. They are good if they are sufficiently large, like 360-480mm. Otherwise a top air cooler like Noctua NH-D15 will do as well.
AIO coolers do not last forever.
Air will intrude through the tubes or the mechanical pump will fail or get clogged.
Here is an interesting article on how the I9-13900K works with different levels of coolers:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested

On the psu, buy big and buy top quality.
Top graphics cards can have high voltage spikes, well past the nominal load.
The price difference between, for example 850w and 950w is usually small.
A psu will only consume the load demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
The one thing you should not do is to buy a cheap psu. My test for quality is to look at the warranty. 7 years is ok, but 10 and 12 years are better.
Corsair rmx and seasonic focus are good places to start.

Jason Vaizard Kouros

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
What do you guys think of this MOBO - Gigabyte Motherboard Z790 GAMING X .... is it lacking in something important tech wise and would it bottleneck my 4090 RTX, 13900K (or KS) or my
G.Skill Desktop RAM Trident Z5 RGB 64GB Kit 6400 MT/s DDR5 or
Corsair Desktop RAM DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 32GB Kit 6200MHz DDR5
(By the way is there any signifficant tech difference between the two that I should go for... and is it ok if I get 32GB total for now instead of the 64GB... or would that potentionally hinder my gaming rig?)

Last edited:
No game, by itself needs more than 16gb.
If you are multitasking, then buy 32gb.
Do not plan on simply adding ram in the future.
Ram must be matched in a single kit to operate properly.
Buy all you might need up front.

I have no opinion on the motherboard.