[SOLVED] Questions about bottleneck

Mar 31, 2021
Hi. Im new to this pc gaming stuff. I have someone I know build a computer for me
since im just testing things out. I settled for a low budget build(mostly 2ndhand parts)
the system we came up with is:
Ryzen 3 3200g
Palit GTX 1060 6gb
2x8gb 2600mhz
80+ platinum 700w

my concern is that does my gpu bottleneck my cpu or the other way around? i dont really quite get it myself
i downloaded msi afterburner to check usages. my CPU usage is 50-80% while my GPU is only 40-60

also another question what would be a good upgrade? im planning to get a ryzen 5 3600 and for the gpu. is 1660 super a good upgrade? or should I get a 3200mhz ram first?

Solution
Gaming mostly depends on a good graphics card.
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

Good luck in finding one at anything < 2x msrp, if you can find one at all.
GTX1060 6gb is a decent graphics card if you can find one at a decent price.
Here is tom's gpu hierarchy chart to guide you in the value of different graphics cards:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
Yes, GTX1660 super is better, but at what price.

Since you are buying used, I have no ideas as to what you could get.
Here are...
Hi. Im new to this pc gaming stuff. I have someone I know build a computer for me
since im just testing things out. I settled for a low budget build(mostly 2ndhand parts)
the system we came up with is:
Ryzen 3 3200g
Palit GTX 1060 6gb
2x8gb 2600mhz
80+ platinum 700w

my concern is that does my gpu bottleneck my cpu or the other way around? i dont really quite get it myself
i downloaded msi afterburner to check usages. my CPU usage is 50-80% while my GPU is only 40-60

also another question what would be a good upgrade? im planning to get a ryzen 5 3600 and for the gpu. is 1660 super a good upgrade? or should I get a 3200mhz ram first?
Hello and welcome

bottleneck is an overrated concept, yes there will always be a slight bottleneck on every system,

but it's not worth your trouble, unless its a high end part with a low end part

an extreme case would be a 3080 with a 2nd or 3rd gen intel cpu

in your case, the build is balanced

few remarks:

ryzen loves fast ram, so i'd aim for 3200hz ram as it really makes a difference

the ryzen cpu is not that great, but adequate (it's similar to a 4th gen higher end cpu)
If possible i'd go for the 3600 already (which is a perfect value/budget choice)

upgrading from a 1060 6gb to a 1660 is not really worth it

i'd skipper along with the 1060 for as long as your games run satisfactory and then check for upgrade options, hopefully the gpu craze will have settled by then

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021
Hello and welcome

bottleneck is an overrated concept, yes there will always be a slight bottleneck on every system,

but it's not worth your trouble, unless its a high end part with a low end part

an extreme case would be a 3080 with a 2nd or 3rd gen intel cpu

in your case, the build is balanced

few remarks:

ryzen loves fast ram, so i'd aim for 3200hz ram as it really makes a difference

the ryzen cpu is not that great, but adequate (it's similar to a 4th gen i5)
If possible i'd go for the 3600 already (which is a perfect value/budget choice)

upgrading from a 1060 6gb to a 1660 is not really worth it

i'd skipper along with the 1060 for as long as your games run satisfactory and then check for upgrade options, hopefully the gpu craze will have settled by then

ohhh I see. guess id go for a ryzen 5 3600 and a 3200hz ram. got my 1060 at half the market price. its a 14mos used item. so I figured I have to get a new one some time later. if ever my gpu gave up. what would be the best buy? lets say i have a budget of 400 usd

ohhh I see. guess id go for a ryzen 5 3600 and a 3200hz ram. got my 1060 at half the market price. its a 14mos used item. so I figured I have to get a new one some time later. if ever my gpu gave up. what would be the best buy? lets say i have a budget of 400 usd

problem is;
No one can give you a sound recommendation at this point

as the market is pretty **** right now

i'd wait for prices to settle and a new value hierarchy will emerge

so praise yourself lucky with the 1060 for now (it's a decent card still) and ride it out

FYI total cpu usage can be misleading. It only takes 1 core/thread to hit >98% and it might limit performance while the other cores are running at a lower usage. It depends how well the game can utilise all the available cores/threads. You should monitor all cores/threads.

Gaming mostly depends on a good graphics card.
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

Good luck in finding one at anything < 2x msrp, if you can find one at all.
GTX1060 6gb is a decent graphics card if you can find one at a decent price.
Here is tom's gpu hierarchy chart to guide you in the value of different graphics cards:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
Yes, GTX1660 super is better, but at what price.

Since you are buying used, I have no ideas as to what you could get.
Here are some thoughts on your parts.
Why buy an older R3-3200g?
You are paying for integrated graphics which you do not plan to use.
It is no great shakes as a gamer either.
It has only 4 threads and a passmark rating of 7232. That is when all 4 threads are 100% busy.
The single thread rating is 2230. That is what games need most
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+3+3200G&id=3497
By comparison, a similarly priced i3-10100 has 8 threads and a rating of 8949/2648.
Here is a gaming review of the i3-10100:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html
Considerably better than even the 3400g.

Intel does not depend on fast ram for performance. 2666 speed is the fastest you can use.
Any lga1200 motherboard will do.

What is the make/model of the psu?
You only need about 450W.
Nothing wrong with much stronger, it will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
Platinum rating, by itself does not indicate good quality. A 7 or 10 year warranty might.
Quality counts. A cheap psu can become expensive if it fails under load and damages all of your parts.
Here is one list of psu quality. Look for tier 1/2, no less than 3:

Today, do not go cheap and buy a SSD and not a HDD.
It will make all the difference in the world as to quickness.

New, a i3-10100 is about $110, a lga1200 motherboard is $75, and a 2 x 8gb DDR4 ram kit is about $75. Total $260. What does your $400 budget need to pay for?

Reactions: Makste
Solution