[SOLVED] Questions about build

Mar 2, 2020
Hey all,

I am looking to build my first gaming PC. I have been a console gamer and looking to move away from it. I have been scouting this forum for the last few days and i ended up with this build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CYHnXv

I just want to make sure everything I picked out really is compatible and I have as few regrets as possible after purchasing. If I can knock some off the price that would be great but if not that is fine too. I am looking for a visually impressive build (clean cable management and RGB lighting) and of course excellent performance. I am looking to play games such as: Age of Empires, Rocket League, CoD and Halo.

Also, what are your thoughts on a curved monitor vs regular? I have always thought of the curve as a gimmick but figured I would ask anyway.

I appreciate any responses.

Thanks

Solution
I don't see any compatibility issues, but some cash can definitely be saved.
1)Motherboard:
Just get an Msi B450 Tomahawk MAX. Save yourself like 80USD.
No, you won't miss PCIE Gen 4 either. That feature is completely worthless for gaming.

2)Memory:
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Save like 15USD here. The 3600 kit you've selected has worse timings, that offset the speed advantage over the 3200mhz kit.

3)SSD:
Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Save like 50USD here.

4)Case:
Cases are really more about personal preference, but the H510 Elite's price is hard to justify for the RGB - it's a highly inflated H510.
Cooler Master has the Mastercase H500, and Phanteks has the Eclipse P400A...
I would drop the Arcticsilver 5 for something like Arctic MX-4, a bit better performing paste without a cure time, AS5 used to be great but its just getting old.
You also dont need the wrist strap.

Other than that its a fairly solid build, you could cut corners somewhere to bring the price down but nothing is horribly overpriced.

Curved vs flat, my opinion:
Curved monitors are good for single monitor setups, in ultrawide resolutions (21:9 or larger), used in place of multiple monitors.
Personally, Id rather have 2-3 flat monitors.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Motherboard:
No, you won't miss PCIE Gen 4 either. That feature is completely worthless for gaming.

2)Memory:
Save like 15USD here. The 3600 kit you've selected has worse timings, that offset the speed advantage over the 3200mhz kit.

3)SSD:
Save like 50USD here.

4)Case:
Cases are really more about personal preference, but the H510 Elite's price is hard to justify for the RGB - it's a highly inflated H510.
Cooler Master has the Mastercase H500, and Phanteks has the Eclipse P400A Digital, but the Dark Rock Pro 4 wouldn't fit in the latter.

2x 240hz monitors?

Solution
Mar 2, 2020
I would drop the Arcticsilver 5 for something like Arctic MX-4, a bit better performing paste without a cure time, AS5 used to be great but its just getting old.
You also dont need the wrist strap.

Other than that its a fairly solid build, you could cut corners somewhere to bring the price down but nothing is horribly overpriced.

Curved vs flat, my opinion:
Curved monitors are good for single monitor setups, in ultrawide resolutions (21:9 or larger), used in place of multiple monitors.
Personally, Id rather have 2-3 flat monitors.

Thanks for taking the time to look over my build. I will swap out the Articsilver 5 for the Artic MX-4.

Yea i have always been a fan of mulitiple monitors, at work people always give me a hard time because i like to run dual monitors with my laptop. so i will just stick with having multiple flat screens.

Again i appreciate your time.

Mar 2, 2020
1)Motherboard:

2)Memory:

3)SSD:
Save like 50USD here.

4)Case:
Cooler Master has the Mastercase H500, and Phanteks has the Eclipse P400A Digital, but the Dark Rock Pro 4 wouldn't fit in the latter.

2x 240hz monitors?

Thanks for taking the time to look over my build. I will look into swapping some items around.

I heard once upon a time that you want to use the same brand when it comes to the motherboard and graphics card. Is this still something i need to be wary of or do you think that was just someones preference?

Yea, i havent fully decided if i want to have 2 240hz monitors as i only really need one. I just dont want to have two completely different monitors. Do you know of a visually comparable Asus monitor that isnt 240Hz?

Thanks again for your time

Mar 2, 2020
4)Case:

Yeah, i agree the H510 and H510 Elite are pretty much identical. i started the build with a Corsair CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB because i really liked the tempered glass all and eventually just lost sight after browsing around for so long and ended up with the H510 Elite.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I heard once upon a time that you want to use the same brand when it comes to the motherboard and graphics card. Is this still something i need to be wary of or do you think that was just someones preference?
That's some hogwash.
So far, I've used 2 different Asus boards with an EVGA and Gigabyte graphics cards, and haven't had any issues between the 2.

Yea, i havent fully decided if i want to have 2 240hz monitors as i only really need one. I just dont want to have two completely different monitors. Do you know of a visually comparable Asus monitor that isnt 240Hz?
No, but 240hz is harder to build around, overall more expensive, and not many genres benefit from the visual clarity.

Mar 2, 2020
That's some hogwash.
So far, I've used 2 different Asus boards with an EVGA and Gigabyte graphics cards, and haven't had any issues between the 2.

thanks for clearing that up.

No, but 240hz is harder to build around, overall more expensive, and not many genres benefit from the visual clarity.

I actually took a look at your build and i think i am going to go with the two monitors on your current setup. the Asus ROG Swift PG278QR and Asus VG248QE. i think i would prefer to have a 27in for my main monitor anyway.

Another question, the PSU i selected for my build is currently sold out everywhere. is there another PSU that you would recommend?