Build Advice Questions About Building for Small Business Servers

Mar 9, 2020
Hello Everyone!

Looking to build or buy a small business server.

The requirements for this build are as follows:
This server will need to run Windows Small Business Server 2019
There will be a maximum of 5 workstations on it each running Windows 10
Using SQL Express
It will be running hotel reservation software and handling online reservations and will run 24/7

I am wondering what you would recommend? I am not sure what kind of specs are required for the requirements I listed earlier. The Intel Xeon processors are always appearing for anything dealing with servers, but the problem I am having is that there are a ton of Xeon processors and I am not sure how much or how little processing power I require. One question I had was how are AMD Ryzen cpus for servers? I couldn't find much information on using Ryzen cpus for servers. The reason I was wondering about this is that while researching, what seems to be one of the most important things for server processors is cores, and cache. When I was looking at the Ryzen 3700X ($300) it has more cores, and more cache than a comparably priced Xeon e2226g. It's probably more complex than that though right? I don't know that much about computer parts, so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I am just wondering what the best way to go is.

Thanks in advance!

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Unless you ARE the head IT guy for this hotel, and that is your only job...buy, not build.
Dell has a whole line of servers for this.

For specs, you need to know how much your SQL database is being used. Workload indicates hardware specs.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS