aranorde

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
This has been confusing me for a while right now, And i have a lot of questions about it as well, please go through them patiently and try to answer me since I'm new to this.

My CPU : Ryzen 5 1500x
Motherboard : MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX

Chipset drivers can be obtained and updated from 3 different places,
  1. Windows(10) automatically detects and downloads them.
  2. You can get it from the CPU manufacturers website.
  3. From motherboard manufacturer's site.

Under AMD's side, (CPU Manufacturer)
  • CPU : When i try to check from my Processor's page, AMD website basically asks you to update the Windows 10 and lists Ryzen master which I do not want.
  • Motherboard Chipset : But when I check for B450 chipset support on AMD's site, it lists down an "AMD Chipset Driver" (Version - 1.11.22.0454 / Date - 11.25.2019 / Size - 50MB) that includes support for bunch of of processor and motherboard chipsets.
On MSI's side, (Motherboard Manufacturer)
  • Motherboard Chipset : Under "System & Chipset Drivers" on MSI site there's another "AMD Chipset Driver" (Version - 19.10.28 / Date - 2019.10.22 / Size - 370.19 MB) which for some reason screams bloatware to me since my motherboard has no other fancy features that requires crazy sized drivers.
On Windows 10 Side (OS)
  • For the past 4 years I've had no issues at all just by letting Windows 10 download its own required drivers and all of my devices have been detected and functioning as it should be. No hassle at all!

I'm planning to keep the Windows 10 handle it (Since AMD also recommends it), but what about that B450 chip specific drivers? And I keep hearing the word chipset drivers randomly now and then and it confuses me.

So I have the following QUESTIONS,
  1. Do i need to download and install chipset drivers on a perfectly functioning system even though windows 10 detects and downloads them?
  2. Does Windows10 detect and update chipset drivers for motherboards?
  3. Are the CPU and Motherboard "AMD Chipset Drivers" different from each other? (Do I need them both?)
  4. What do these Chipset Drivers include? what do they do?
  5. Which one should I download an update?
I have a feeling that leaving it to the windows 10 is fine, because I have experience with it over 4 years without any issues. I just need to clear my doubt once and for all on what the heck is going on here!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Solution
  1. and 2. Best and newest chipset driver are from AMD site as chipsets are also made by AMD and not fro independent or MB manufacturers which are usually pretty late. This is important because W10 has been changed a lot with 1903 and 1909 (latest build) to use Ryzen resources better.
  2. MS is also late with drivers which are more basic than ones supplied by MB manufacturer providing just basic functionality.
Most "motherboard and chipset drivers are almost same thing nut motherboard includes other parts not contained in chipset,like USB3/.1 etc. those should be obtained from MB manufacturer.
Some parts included in chipset are SATA, USB2, PCIe. and drivers for them are included with chipset drivers.
There is no such thing as...
This has been confusing me for a while right now, And i have a lot of questions about it as well, please go through them patiently and try to answer me since I'm new to this.

My CPU : Ryzen 5 1500x
Motherboard : MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX

Chipset drivers can be obtained and updated from 3 different places,
  1. Windows(10) automatically detects and downloads them.
  2. You can get it from the CPU manufacturers website.
  3. From motherboard manufacturer's site.

Under AMD's side, (CPU Manufacturer)
  • CPU : When i try to check from my Processor's page, AMD website basically asks you to update the Windows 10 and lists Ryzen master which I do not want.
  • Motherboard Chipset : But when I check for B450 chipset support on AMD's site, it lists down an "AMD Chipset Driver" (Version - 1.11.22.0454 / Date - 11.25.2019 / Size - 50MB) that includes support for bunch of of processor and motherboard chipsets.
On MSI's side, (Motherboard Manufacturer)
  • Motherboard Chipset : Under "System & Chipset Drivers" on MSI site there's another "AMD Chipset Driver" (Version - 19.10.28 / Date - 2019.10.22 / Size - 370.19 MB) which for some reason screams bloatware to me since my motherboard has no other fancy features that requires crazy sized drivers.
On Windows 10 Side (OS)
  • For the past 4 years I've had no issues at all just by letting Windows 10 download its own required drivers and all of my devices have been detected and functioning as it should be. No hassle at all!

I'm planning to keep the Windows 10 handle it (Since AMD also recommends it), but what about that B450 chip specific drivers? And I keep hearing the word chipset drivers randomly now and then and it confuses me.

So I have the following QUESTIONS,
  1. Do i need to download and install chipset drivers on a perfectly functioning system even though windows 10 detects and downloads them?
  2. Does Windows10 detect and update chipset drivers for motherboards?
  3. Are the CPU and Motherboard "AMD Chipset Drivers" different from each other? (Do I need them both?)
  4. What do these Chipset Drivers include? what do they do?
  5. Which one should I download an update?
I have a feeling that leaving it to the windows 10 is fine, because I have experience with it over 4 years without any issues. I just need to clear my doubt once and for all on what the heck is going on here!

Thanks for the help in advance!
You want the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer.

aranorde

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
So you want advice unless someone disagrees with you? I’d explain why you’re wrong but it’s obvious you don’t actually want help. Good luck.
I had an entire post listing pages and with bunch of questions then you replied with a sentence that did not address my entire doubt and you did not even care to 'explain' your single line. Now after me downvoting since it didn't help (why do you think we have that option?) you come and tell me that I do not want help and you can explain why I'm wrong? What are you even trying to prove here? if you think i need the ones from MSI then explain what the AMD one includes and why the other 2 options are not good.

I do not want to be rude or anything here, I needed help and you weren't helpful at all even after 2 replies.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You don't have to downvote every answer that hasn't the info you are looking at,could have asked him to explain why. People who react do try to help and put their own time into that.

The why is that motherboard manufacturers might have tweaked the drivers abit in a way they might think their product would benefit from.
Might well be after downloading and trying to install that you get a prompt where it says that the latest drivers are already installed (where windows comes in).

1. and 2. Best and newest chipset driver are from AMD site as chipsets are also made by AMD and not fro independent or MB manufacturers which are usually pretty late. This is important because W10 has been changed a lot with 1903 and 1909 (latest build) to use Ryzen resources better.
  2. MS is also late with drivers which are more basic than ones supplied by MB manufacturer providing just basic functionality.
Most "motherboard and chipset drivers are almost same thing nut motherboard includes other parts not contained in chipset,like USB3/.1 etc. those should be obtained from MB manufacturer.
Some parts included in chipset are SATA, USB2, PCIe. and drivers for them are included with chipset drivers.
There is no such thing as CPU drivers so you should download Chipset drivers from https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450
BTW, newest chipset drivers are 19.12.3.

Solution