Questions about CPUS and framerate

Thisname1234

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
I have a noobish question about cpus that i have a little explaining to do in order to ask.

I have just recently upgraded my gpu to a gtx 1060 6gb, and with the geforce experience it went through all my games and put them at ultra settings. I play guild wars 2, which you probably know is a mmorpg. When there isn't many people on my screen I average around 60-80 fps if I'm not just standing there and I'm attacking and what not. When a horde of people are there, even just standing around doing nothing my fps drops to around 30-35. I'm wondering if the amount of people if that's the information that the cpu handles and that's why the fps drops or if it's because the gpu all the sudden has so many more things it's focusing on.

Thanks in advance

Solution
I'd just like to add, a weak CPU can keep FPS low and make things unplayable.

For example my FX8320 8core at a blistering 5ghz (blistering as in it was HOT as the sun!) was only able to muster 13k points in Firestrike with 2x 780ti's. Games like Arma 3 I was getting low 20s in King of the hill and wasn't smooth at all and even Battlefield 4 I often dropped below 100fps and GTA 5 even 30fps on mix setting between high and ultra. All at 1080p.

I had a left over Asus P8z77-v and a i7 3770s, it was able to score 16k points in Firestrike at just 3.1ghz. I got it to 4.2ghz and Arma 3 was like a brand new game, Battlefield 4 I was able to keep a solid 144fps (locked it at 144), GTA5 I was able to keep settings maxed out other than...

antoine21839

Respectable
Jan 4, 2017

Having a bad CPU can bottleneck a good graphics card. What processor are you using ?

Thisname1234

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
I'm using a i7-4970 @ 3.60 GHZ. I think it should work well it's decent but maybe I'm wrong. Just tried skyrim special edition and I was running it at 1080p ultra setting and the framrate was amazing didn't seem to drop

antoine21839

Respectable
Jan 4, 2017

That CPU seems fine.

And yes, particle effects and entities require more power from both CPU and GPU. That's why in battle you get less FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmjcUIi_B5g -> overkill PC gets destroyed by minecraft, crysis 1 and skyrim.

I'd just like to add, a weak CPU can keep FPS low and make things unplayable.

For example my FX8320 8core at a blistering 5ghz (blistering as in it was HOT as the sun!) was only able to muster 13k points in Firestrike with 2x 780ti's. Games like Arma 3 I was getting low 20s in King of the hill and wasn't smooth at all and even Battlefield 4 I often dropped below 100fps and GTA 5 even 30fps on mix setting between high and ultra. All at 1080p.

I had a left over Asus P8z77-v and a i7 3770s, it was able to score 16k points in Firestrike at just 3.1ghz. I got it to 4.2ghz and Arma 3 was like a brand new game, Battlefield 4 I was able to keep a solid 144fps (locked it at 144), GTA5 I was able to keep settings maxed out other than AntiAliasing and some of the advance graphics due to only have 3GB of vram. But it was a huge performance improvement over my old AMD system.

Bought my a i7 5820k and parts, and i'm able to score 20k points in Firestrike and games did improve, Battlefield 4 (don't really play it anymore) but I was able to keep it pegged at 200fps on 64 player Caspian Border with the same 780ti's. Arma 3 was even smoother yet and I was able to run on high with 1600m view distance on King of the Hill.

Remember a CPU does not have to be at 100% to be a bottleneck, my FX8320 at 5ghz was never at 100%, but it also still did better than the i7 3770s in video editing, though not by much, it just had a ton more CPU headroom, but it could not beat the lower clocked Ivy bridge CPU in gaming or even in general desktop productivity.

There are more factors that apply, like server load which can cause clients connected to the server to get poor performance or bad optimizations, Some games mostly MMO based games tend to love fast processors and many of them don't use multiple cores so a faster single core CPU will win in the case, typically a game that only uses 2 or so cores and you have a 8 threaded i7, Windows will distribute the load across all available threads instead of just maxing out only a few cores.

Solution