[SOLVED] Questions about data migration from a HDD to a new SSD (Samsung 860 EVO)

Rylankk

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Hi, I am really not so knowledgeable when it comes to computers and their components so I have a couple of questions about installing a new SSD, which I got to speed up the opening of applications and games basically.

So, I hooked up my new SSD to my SATA cable and power cables inside my PC, and I pretty much don't know what to do from here. I downloaded a Data Migration tool in order to clone data from the HDD to SSD, but I haven't gone through with it yet because I'm scared I'm going to mess something up and not be able to use my computer. I really want to do a clean install on the new SSD I think, so that I have the whole 1TB of storage to do whatever I want with.

I am kind of rambling and all over the place, so I'll number the questions I have.

I read on some forums that some people would rather just do a clean install on the new SSD, which I like the sound of, but when I try to boot up from the new SSD from the BIOS menu, nothing happens.
1) And I'm assuming that's because there's no windows installed on it yet?

2) Is there a way I can just install windows on my SSD and boot it up from the SSD while my HDD is still in my computer? Or would it be easier to just remove the HDD completely and put the SSD in the spot it was in? Assuming I backed up everything on my HDD already just to have around.

3)And would I just need to put like a Windows 10 installation CD in my CD tray and boot up from the SSD to start installing it with the HDD removed completely? Because right now it doesn't do anything when I try to boot it up.

Solution
I see, I think. So I would be able to boot it if I installed windows on it, right?

My OS is Windows 7, but I’m not sure if I want to use Windows 7 anymore, might go to 10. But my current HDD has like 730GB of space used right now, and I got a Samsung EVO 860 (1TB) SSD
Multiple pathways forward.

750GB consumed, and a new 1TB 860 EVO.
That can be cloned directly to the new drive, in its entirety.
And later, Upgrade to Win 10.

Or, Upgrade to Win 10 on the current drive and then migrate to the new drive.

Or, a clean install of the OS (and everything else) on the new drive.

And yes, you need to move off Win 7.

Which way do you want to go?

USAFRet

Titan
  1. You can't "boot" from the SSD because there's nothing on it.
  2. Questions below will work this out
  3. See #2

What OS is this?
How much space is consumed on your current HDD?
What size/make/model is the new SSD?

Answers to these will lead us to the right solution.

Rylankk

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
I see, I think. So I would be able to boot it if I installed windows on it, right?

My OS is Windows 7, but I’m not sure if I want to use Windows 7 anymore, might go to 10. But my current HDD has like 730GB of space used right now, and I got a Samsung EVO 860 (1TB) SSD

USAFRet

Titan

Multiple pathways forward.

750GB consumed, and a new 1TB 860 EVO.
That can be cloned directly to the new drive, in its entirety.
And later, Upgrade to Win 10.

Or, Upgrade to Win 10 on the current drive and then migrate to the new drive.

Or, a clean install of the OS (and everything else) on the new drive.

And yes, you need to move off Win 7.

Which way do you want to go?

Solution

Rylankk

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
I think I would want to do a clean install on the new SSD. Of Windows 10, of course. And most everything that I absolutely need off my HDD I have backed up already as well.