Question Questions about DNS, bridge and wi-fi routers

Perene

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
I have been using my local ISP which connects 2 TP-Link routers, #1 and #2 don't have DHCP enabled. The gateway for my ISP modem, which is a MitraStar GPT-2741GNAC-N2, is this one:

So, I usually disable the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks from the ISP modem, and only use the TP-Links. Which assign a random IP for the devices, such as 192.168.15.43.

I might also add the fact that I changed the IPV4 and IPV6 DNS from this ISP, in this case I need to do this from the modem, not manually in all devices (for example, my LG TV does not allow this, last time I checked).

Meaning, if I change everyone to 8.8.8.8, they'll use Google, unless they modify, such as using 1.1.1.1 in my PC.

But now I am replacing my current ISP with a new one, which uses a different modem: Huawei HG8145V5

It looks like this modem not only does not allow the BRIDGE mode (if I am not mistaken, this also applies to the other ISP), yet there's another catch: you can't modify (apparently) the DNS:

So what do you suggest I do, if the modem's DNS can't be changed? Do I need to enable the DHCP in both TP-Link routers? Because if I do, this is what the TP-Link will display:

LURA.jpg

Currently, the TP-Links are in "Wireless Router Mode". WAN Interface is configured to Connection Type: DYNAMIC IP.

LAN SETTINGS, for one of them I wrote "192.168.15.50", for the other router, 192.168.15.24, so these are their "gateways".

kanewolf

Titan
I have been using my local ISP which connects 2 TP-Link routers, #1 and #2 don't have DHCP enabled. The gateway for my ISP modem, which is a MitraStar GPT-2741GNAC-N2, is this one:

So, I usually disable the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks from the ISP modem, and only use the TP-Links. Which assign a random IP for the devices, such as 192.168.15.43.

I might also add the fact that I changed the IPV4 and IPV6 DNS from this ISP, in this case I need to do this from the modem, not manually in all devices (for example, my LG TV does not allow this, last time I checked).

Meaning, if I change everyone to 8.8.8.8, they'll use Google, unless they modify, such as using 1.1.1.1 in my PC.

But now I am replacing my current ISP with a new one, which uses a different modem: Huawei HG8145V5

It looks like this modem not only does not allow the BRIDGE mode (if I am not mistaken, this also applies to the other ISP), yet there's another catch: you can't modify (apparently) the DNS:

So what do you suggest I do, if the modem's DNS can't be changed? Do I need to enable the DHCP in both TP-Link routers? Because if I do, this is what the TP-Link will display:

LURA.jpg

Currently, the TP-Links are in "Wireless Router Mode". WAN Interface is configured to Connection Type: DYNAMIC IP.

LAN SETTINGS, for one of them I wrote "192.168.15.50", for the other router, 192.168.15.24, so these are their "gateways".
You didn't specify what model TP-Link devices you have, but I would recommend running them as access points and allow the ISP router to handle all the DHCP and DNS assignments.

Perene

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
You didn't specify what model TP-Link devices you have, but I would recommend running them as access points and allow the ISP router to handle all the DHCP and DNS assignments.
It's the
Archer VR900
and
Archer C8

I will disable the 2.4 and 5 GHz in the ISP modem

Then I'll plug one or two of these into their HUAWEI.

The issue here is that you can't internally change the DNS the ISP uses, for Google or any other, like OPEN-DNS

So I asked here if enabling DHCP in these TP-Links and manually configuring your DNS will suffice

I also don't know if this is what "double NAT" means, and can cause some speed/performance problems, because in the past I was told to only enable DHCP for one device: the ISP's modem

kanewolf

Titan
It's the
Archer VR900
and
Archer C8

I will disable the 2.4 and 5 GHz in the ISP modem

Then I'll plug one or two of these into their HUAWEI.

The issue here is that you can't internally change the DNS the ISP uses, for Google or any other, like OPEN-DNS

So I asked here if enabling DHCP in these TP-Links and manually configuring your DNS will suffice

I also don't know if this is what "double NAT" means, and can cause some speed/performance problems, because in the past I was told to only enable DHCP for one device: the ISP's modem
If your ISP uses GPON to the router, and you don't like the router, then you either have to find a supported GPON modem, different GPON router , or a different ISP.

It is somewhat strange you can not change the DHCP setting in the ISP router to give out a different DNS.

Now it sounds simple to just use a different router as a DHCP server but it never is that simple with consumer grade equipment.
The new problem is now you can't change the gateway. The router you are using as a DHCP server will give out its own lan IP as the gateway but you need the gateway to be the ISP router.

Not sure what you do about this. A very small raspberry pi can run as a real DHCP server and you can give out whatever values you want for all fields.

kanewolf

Titan
It is somewhat strange you can not change the DHCP setting in the ISP router to give out a different DNS.

Now it sounds simple to just use a different router as a DHCP server but it never is that simple with consumer grade equipment.
The new problem is now you can't change the gateway. The router you are using as a DHCP server will give out its own lan IP as the gateway but you need the gateway to be the ISP router.

Not sure what you do about this. A very small raspberry pi can run as a real DHCP server and you can give out whatever values you want for all fields.
PI Hole does have a DHCP capability. You could disable the DHCP on your ISP router and use a PI Hole to provide ad blocking DNS and DHCP services.

Perene

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
If your ISP uses GPON to the router, and you don't like the router, then you either have to find a supported GPON modem, different GPON router , or a different ISP.
I always disable the wi-fi that's inside the ISP modem because my TP-Links perform better for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks. The signal is no doubt stronger with them, not to mention more available ports.

Right now my 2 TP-Link routers are connected to it, and DHCP is disabled in both. I was told I had to re-enable DHCP (so, double NAT) if it's 100% impossible to change the default ISP DNS in their Huawei modem.

My TV is the 60UP7750PSB, and apparently you can't manually decide which DNS is going to use. It relies on the one used by the TP-Link and/or the ISP. If it's possible to modify, then no need for more than 1 device with DHCP on.

TRENDING THREADS