Questions about Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

kroobs

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Looking for a good mobo for my very first build (budget gaming/Amd based).
I'm basically looking at Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Questions:
1. Do I really need x16 on both slots if I consider crossfire in the future? (I think I've read that it's barely noticeable)
2. Will this work with a 1600mhz kingston ram and 955 BE processor? (I think I read that I will have to tweak the voltage to 1.65?)
3. Any other good board that I should know about?

Solution
As Nathan said the new Bulldozer chips are coming out very soon.

But for your other questions...

x16 on both slots is not needed as a GTX 590 (Most powerful card currently out, comprised of 2 GPU's) barely saturates a x8 bus. So 2 x16 is pretty much pointless.

Yes it will work with 1600MHz Kingston RAM, and you shouldn't have to tweak the voltage at all.

Most AM3+ Boards from Either Asus or Gigabyte are going to be solid boards, there is definitely nothing wrong with going with either manufacturer.

nathanmmnm

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Hold till the 12th oct or so, official launch of bulldozer is possibly soon and would be a shame to buy a AM3+ board and put a black edition phenom II chip in it two weeks before the next gen 32nm CPUs come out which fit in the same socket.

Course the 12th oct is a rumour, still I would recommend you wait and see. If the Bulldozer chips dont appear then buy an i5 - its quite a bit better than the Phenom II.

As Nathan said the new Bulldozer chips are coming out very soon.

But for your other questions...

x16 on both slots is not needed as a GTX 590 (Most powerful card currently out, comprised of 2 GPU's) barely saturates a x8 bus. So 2 x16 is pretty much pointless.

Yes it will work with 1600MHz Kingston RAM, and you shouldn't have to tweak the voltage at all.

Most AM3+ Boards from Either Asus or Gigabyte are going to be solid boards, there is definitely nothing wrong with going with either manufacturer.

Solution

kroobs

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Almost forgot about this thread heh.
Thanks for all the replies!

@nathanmmnm & iam2thecrowe:
Yeah, I'm going to wait a bit to see what bulldozer has to offer.
(When it does and truly comes out for sale!)
I'm also looking, as you said, at the i5-2500K as an alternative if anything.

Also thank you itzdanielp for answering all my questions!
I've been searching and I guess x8/x8 seems to be the way to go.
I've also found that I guess x4/x4 isn't that bad either (except on multi-display setups)
So I was able to find this cheaper Asus Mobo.
http://www.excaliberpc.com/607535/asus-m5a99x-evo-amd-990x.html#TabSpecification

nathanmmnm

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

Its a subjective question, from past experience I simply dont trust AMD release dates so IMO even official release dates should generally be regarded as "rumours" until proven otherwise - perhaps "official rumour" is a better way of disguising ones thinly veiled disrust :D