Questions about GPU and CPU Usage

Aug 25, 2018
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 OC @3.7 GHz

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 DT GAMING
(GPU OC: 1900MHz----MEM OC: 5800MHz)

16GB of Gskill Ripjaws DDR4 Ram

Msi B350M Pro-VDH Mobo

700W Bronze PSU (Waiting on a EVGA SuperNova G2 750W)

Sandisk SSD (for windows, google, etc.)

2TB 5400RPM WD Blue Hard Drive (For Games, Photoshop, etc.)

I have some questions that are puzzling me. In Watch Dogs 2 I had to put settings on high instead of Ultra to get 65 FPS. If I OC my CPU higher than 3.7 GHz (Waiting on Cryorig H7 to OC higher but keep temps down), my load would go down to abt 60%, and I would get 75ish FPS. If I set settings to Very High with some anti-aliasing with higher OC, my load would go back to 80% and I would get 45-50 FPS. My GPU Usage is about 50-60% consistant

In Quantum Break, Everything Maxed, Up-scaling off, My CPU Usage is abt 50%, while my GPU Usage is at 100%, and i'm getting 45 FPS. I was recommended to get a Ryzen 7, but why is my GPU Usage maxed And CPU at 50% in Quantum Break, but in Watch Dogs 2, it's like the opposite? I'm playing at 1440p, trying to get games maxed with some anti-aliasing. Any help is appreciated

Solution
1440p is a fairly high resolution, and would consume more GPU resources. Each game is different, so some consume more resources in one area or another.
Some games are more demanding on the CPU (for things like AI, physics and so on), while others are more demanding on the GPU (for graphics rendering). If the GPU usage is maxed, you could try lowering settings a bit in Quantum Break. When you say "anti-aliasing" are you referring to supersampling, such as Nvidia's Dynamic Super Resolution? Supersampling is basically rendering the scene at a resolution higher than your screen resolution, so it tends to be very demanding on the graphics card, so a different method of anti-aliasing might be preferred, even if it doesn't look quite as nice.

Aug 25, 2018

I mean like smaa for example. I thought the 1080 Ti would be equipped to handle most games' settings maxed at 1440p? Do you think I should get a Ryzen 7? Thanks

Lower settings use the CPU more, and higher settings use the GPU more. The larger the draw distance, the more CPU will be used. A lot of games actually use low-resolution textures for far away objects, which is technically a low setting, thus CPU. If you are seeing terrible FPS in a game, you would actually benefit by editing the .ini file or using a mod that will reduce the draw distance. While this might dampen your visual experience to a degree, it would save the CPU resources. The same could be said for GPU usage. If you are playing a game and the GPU is running at max all the time, one of the easiest ways to get back GPU resources is to reduce the quality of shadows. It's something you don't notice too much when playing, and lowering other settings would be more incremental. It's important to note that higher resolutions would consume the most, so make sure any resolution scaling is off if you have bad frames. Another thing to note is loading screens and open world games. Games with loading screens tend to have a smoother gameplay experience due to less being loaded at once. Open world games might stutter here and there, as they load textures and other information as you play. So it's important that you have a HDD or SSD with fast read speeds.

Also, some games are just terribly optimized, so check forums online to see if someone has similar issues as you in a game.

Hope this helps.

Aug 25, 2018

It does help, thanks!

Quantum break renders like three frames for each frame so 45FPS at 1440 is pretty impressive.