[SOLVED] Questions about i7 2600k overclock

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Im trying to buy a little more time before I upgrade my cpu.

I managed to get my 2600k to 4.4ghz by using a +0.05 offset with temps at 55c-63c during heavy gaming and high 20's at idle.

1. CpuZ shows my max VCore at 1.272 during prime95 small fft's
Imo, its not worth the extra few hundred mhz to quickly degrade my cpu.
What's a safe VCore for ever day use ?

I hear no more than 1.35, but others say as high as 1.45
Id like to stay below 1.3.

2.I noticed my the vid goes higher than my max VCore.
HW monitor shows my max Vid is 1.391 (Thats a little scary to me, but Im still kinda of new to this)

Is the cpu is receiving what the vid shows or can I safely monitor the actual VCore with hw monitor and CPUZ ?

Fyi: My cooler is a N520 http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/cooling/hyper-series/hyper-n520.html

Thanks for any help

Solution
It's different for different manufacturers. If you are at -0.05 now, just add 0.05 and there's the starting point. A stress test will get you a stable load vcore. Btw intel states 1.52 as max safe. Idle vcore is a different point so you can be unstable at idle but stable at load or vice versa. It's typically idle that's an issue so usually what happens is people using a negative offset and use additional turbo voltage to raise the load vcore higher for a higher oc. You get the best of both worlds; undervolting idle but a high oc.

Llc will also affect vcore and it gets more complicated with a scaling levels. But anyways, just pay attention to vcore til it's stable. I don't know what other settings you changed but you shouldn't need to...
Vid is always higher. Don't worry about it. Vcore is what the cpu is getting and what we go by. 1.35 was the safe number back when it came out 9 years ago so you wouldn't have to worry about it lasting over 10 years. Now, well I doubt it would be of much use for another 10 years. You're room has to be cold. Temps are typically 10c above so your room is 10c?

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Vid is always higher. Don't worry about it. Vcore is what the cpu is getting and what we go by. 1.35 was the safe number back when it came out 9 years ago so you wouldn't have to worry about it lasting over 10 years. Now, well I doubt it would be of much use for another 10 years. You're room has to be cold. Temps are typically 10c above so your room is 10c?

I dont need it to go much longer. Im gonna upgrade soon. Im just waiting till this pandemic stuff dies down and my finanaces are back to normal.

No way. My room is around 74-80f most times.
Do you thing my hw monitor and or real temp is wrong ?

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Maybe if your room is closer to 73. 27-29 on the lowest core on idle, the others are maybe up to 33? 55-63 gaming is reasonable.
Thats about right.

Update: It ran great until tonight, when it blued screen after 3 games of Starcraft 2 3v3's

I dialed it back to 4.3ghz with -0.05 offset.
We'll have to see how that works out.

Another question,

If Im able to disable offset and determine the correct static vcore , will intel speedstep still allow the clock speed and voltage to drop down when its not needed ?

Im dont think I have a good understanding of how offset works.

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Offset is what you need for the vcore to change. Manual vcore will not change. The speed still changes, so speedstep will work, but you'd be pumping in full vcore all the time which makes it moot.

Whats the point of slowing clock speed if the vcore and therefore temps stay high ?

Or does lower clock speed help temps ?

Different functions, different settings. Lower speed is lower power, lower power is less heat. Watts = amps x volts. You can only change volts but amps will go down with lower speeds as that's less elections that go through transistors per second. But it doesn't make sense to have one feature off and keep the others on when they are for similar reasons.

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Different functions, different settings. Lower speed is lower power, lower power is less heat. Watts = amps x volts. You can only change volts but amps will go down with lower speeds as that's less elections that go through transistors per second. But it doesn't make sense to have one feature off and keep the others on when they are for similar reasons.
I really appreciate the help.

A few more questions for you...

1. Is Vid in HW info64 the max recommended vcore by intel ?
Its seems to stay at 1.386

2. Does - offset undervolt or lower Vcore ?

Vid is the requested voltage going into the vrm. If it stays the same all the time, I'm going to assume you turned off c1e/eist which should be on.

Offset is a way to change vcore. You change it to whatever you want. Overvolt, undervolt, it depends what you set it to.

Last edited:

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Vid is the requested voltage going into the vrm. If it stays the same all the time, I'm going to assume you turned off c1e/eist which should be on.

Offset is a way to change vcore. You change it to whatever you want. Overvolt, undervolt, it depends what you set it to.

Whats the easiest way to determine what the starting vcore is ?

Do I put the cpu at stock speed and check the vcore ?
Also, I assume theres gonna be some flucations in the voltage, even at stock.
If this is the case, how do I know what to subtract 0.05 from ?

It's different for different manufacturers. If you are at -0.05 now, just add 0.05 and there's the starting point. A stress test will get you a stable load vcore. Btw intel states 1.52 as max safe. Idle vcore is a different point so you can be unstable at idle but stable at load or vice versa. It's typically idle that's an issue so usually what happens is people using a negative offset and use additional turbo voltage to raise the load vcore higher for a higher oc. You get the best of both worlds; undervolting idle but a high oc.

Llc will also affect vcore and it gets more complicated with a scaling levels. But anyways, just pay attention to vcore til it's stable. I don't know what other settings you changed but you shouldn't need to change anything besides vcore and multi.

Solution

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014

Llc will also affect vcore and it gets more complicated with a scaling levels. But anyways, just pay attention to vcore til it's stable. I don't know what other settings you changed but you shouldn't need to change anything besides vcore and multi.

I was trying to decrease the voltage, since my temps already hit mids 70's during burn test and prime 95 runs.
Im also trying to see how much I can lower the voltage and still have a stable 4.3ghz.

rumrunner24

Honorable
Jun 22, 2014
I don't see the point in turning off c states or ht. Mid 70s is good for stress tests, even 80s is still fine. Gaming will stay 50-60 as you were and your vcore is already much lower than safe for another 10+ more years.

I don't know what that stuff does. I follow the steps from another post on overclock.net.

With the other things in mind, should I shoot for 4.5 or is the extra 200mhz not a big enough boost for the time/trouble ?

Last edited:
The other settings are just unnecessary extra steps. All that's needed to change is multi and vcore. C states are sleep states. You should know what hyperthreading is. It's the reason the i7 2600k was $100 more than the i5 2500k. Especially with multithreading more prevalent nowadays than 9 years ago. Ht may not let you oc as high but it'll be a performance boost. Ht may make what you have now unstable. But if it is stable then just go with what you have. If not, it would have been much quicker to just start with vcore close to 1.35 with whatever offset you need and try 4.5ghz. See if it's stable, if not go down to 4.4, repeat til stable and be done.

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
The other settings are just unnecessary extra steps. All that's needed to change is multi and vcore. C states are sleep states. You should know what hyperthreading is. It's the reason the i7 2600k was $100 more than the i5 2500k. Especially with multithreading more prevalent nowadays than 9 years ago. Ht may not let you oc as high but it'll be a performance boost. Ht may make what you have now unstable. But if it is stable then just go with what you have. If not, it would have been much quicker to just start with vcore close to 1.35 with whatever offset you need and try 4.5ghz. See if it's stable, if not go down to 4.4, repeat til stable and be done.

Im not sure how to set the vcore and then use offset ? on top of that. I thought you can only do static or offset .
I disabled hyperthreading because I mainly use it for gaming and I was told (like you said) that it may increase temps and cause instabilty.

Should I enable all cstates and ht ?

Thanks again for the help !

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Yes, everything should have been default except vcore and multi. Offset is how you set vcore.

The default on here is set to auto.
Is that fine ?

Also, how do I determine what offset to set without know what the default vcore is ?

In you prevuous post you said " If youre at -.05 now add +.05 and thats your starting point.

So I set offset to 0.00, write down my idle vcore, subtract that number from 1.35 and that gives me my + offset setting ?

I don't know what setting you are talking about but what I said is simple and cannot be misunderstood. Leave everything at default except multi and vcore. You may need to reset settings if you don't know what you changed.

You started the thread saying +0.05 and 1.272 vcore. Then your starting point is 1.22. Idle vcore is different but if you don't have an additional turbo voltage then you are going to be using a positive offset and idle vcore isn't a concern.

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
I don't know what setting you are talking about but what I said is simple and cannot be misunderstood. Leave everything at default except multi and vcore. You may need to reset settings if you don't know what you changed.

You started the thread saying +0.05 and 1.272 vcore. Then your starting point is 1.22. Idle vcore is different but if you don't have an additional turbo voltage then you are going to be using a positive offset and idle vcore isn't a concern.

You said you didnt see the point of disabling c states, then suggested I leave the settings at default.
I then told you that default is auto, and asked if thats ok, since I assumed auto could mean disabled or enabled based on what the systems chooses.
Thats why I asked for clarification on the settings.

For the voltage, I did atart thread at +.05 but as I said shortly after that

"I dialed it back to 4.3ghz with -0.05 offset"
and things continue to change with every update you give me.
You even told me it wouldve been better to jump to 1.35 and try for 4.5

As things change Im trying to get more info from you.

The vcore doesnt stay static, so I was trying to figure how to do what you said.

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks.

For cstates, auto = enabled = default. This goes back to what was said at the beginning. It doesn't make sense to run full speed and voltage all the time. That's why it should be enabled. There is no point in disabling it. My suggestion has not changed.

I never said to use a static vcore. I've been going over the same process since the beginning telling you to use offset and trying to get you to figure out what offset you need because I can't tell you what vcore your cpu will be stable at.

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
For cstates, auto = enabled = default. This goes back to what was said at the beginning. It doesn't make sense to run full speed and voltage all the time. That's why it should be enabled. There is no point in disabling it. My suggestion has not changed.

I never said to use a static vcore. I've been going over the same process since the beginning telling you to use offset and trying to get you to figure out what offset you need because I can't tell you what vcore your cpu will be stable at.

You told me it wouldve been easier to start at 1.35vcore.
Im not clear on how achieve that setting with an offset setting.
I understand you cant tell me what my cpu will work at, but when you suggest I start at or around 1.35ghz, I assumed you had a quick way of doing that.
Thank for everything, I"ll update the thread if I continue with this.
Have a good one.

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
What do you think about these settings ? They were suggested to me on overclock.net.

They seem a bit extreme for my cooling setup, but idk, maybe Im wrong.

• Set LLC to High
  • VRM Frequency manual and 500
  • CPU Current Capability to 140%
  • CPU Offset voltage to + (positive) 0.005
  • Set ram voltage to 1.55v
  • Set VCCIO to 1.075v
  • Set PLL voltage to 1.8 for now
  • Set PCH Votlage to 1.062v (or as close as you can get to that)
  • Set memory frequency to 1333, because I'm unsure on your kit and it will take ram stability out of the question
  • Leave ram timings on auto
  • Enable hyper threading
  • Double check all your voltages so you did not accidentally put in some crazy number.
Go into the "CPU Power Management" settings and see if you have an option for "Additional turbo voltage". If you do, set it to 0.004v
Lastly, drop the CPU multiplier to x40 and boot into windows. Download HW monitor or whatever you want to use and see what kinda voltage you are getting under load and take note of that.
Assuming you are not thermal throttling under load, restart and bump the multiplier to x41. Test again, and so on.
Once you come to the point of failing a test or getting a BSOD, bump the vcore up 2 notches. ie + 0.005 would increase to +0.015