Questions about IT as a career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDMAINO488XD

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
Hi guys I was thinking to chose IT as a career in the near future. I am currently a senior in high school. I was wondering what is the daily task of someone who works in IT.

Solution
IT is very challenging. And as listed in the preceeding post there are a large number of positions/position descriptions available. And most of those positions actually can be doing any number of things or even something else. Titles and job descriptions aside - no matter the discipline.

And, you will most likely start out in some support position - one way or another.

Start reading the employment ads and gain an understanding of what skills and skill levels employer's are seeking. Take a look at online job applications, resumes, do practice interviews, learn about job hunting in IT.

Visit a library and start perusing technical magazines, keep reading in forums such as this one, go online and learn about different topics. Start...

kpm2k

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Don't do it. Pick another field like engineering. You'll be much better off.

If you still decide you want to do I.T. -- do everything you can in your power to stay out of support!

DivyaJ1

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Hello,
Thanks for Asking..!!

Yes, definitely , you can choose IT as your career. As it has many career opportunities available.

The main work of in IT field varies widely.
Some of them is to upgrade computer software, set up and maintain the servers, build website etc.

The daily task of IT workers depends on their post.
They can work as

• Computer Programmer
    IT consultant
    Mobile application developer
    Web developer
    Software engineer
    Data Modeler
    Information technology vendor manager
    Computer Systems Analysts

I am also Computer Science Student & preparing for ibps it officer exam.

The work of SO / It officer in banks is -

• End to end support for bank’s core banking system
    Management for various subsystems – ATM
    Mobile Banking
    Internet Banking etc.
    Develop software or modify software

I hope it will help you.
Best of Luck :)

Ralston18

Titan
IT is very challenging. And as listed in the preceeding post there are a large number of positions/position descriptions available. And most of those positions actually can be doing any number of things or even something else. Titles and job descriptions aside - no matter the discipline.

And, you will most likely start out in some support position - one way or another.

Start reading the employment ads and gain an understanding of what skills and skill levels employer's are seeking. Take a look at online job applications, resumes, do practice interviews, learn about job hunting in IT.

Visit a library and start perusing technical magazines, keep reading in forums such as this one, go online and learn about different topics. Start wherever you wish - you may need to back up a bit and learn more. In IT you will always be and will always need to be learning.

I have a growing sense that most job descriptions are now being written for two positions. I.e., they want to hire someone who will do the work of two people....

Employers want reliable, honest people who are willing to learn, show up on time, be a team player, and not cause to much hassel for their manager and co-workers. Take on some extra work when necessary. Show self-discipline and respect the work place environment.

And you will need a wider range of skills especially if you wish to move into management or senior technical positions. Take extra classes in technical writing, communcations/speech, math/finances. Learn to use software management tools. Not that important starting out per se but if you really want to move out of some "Help desk" support position (and you will) then you need to be able to bring more to the table.

Certifications may or may not be helpful. Watch out for training companies making lots of promises but rarely able to deliver on those promises.

Decide what part of IT you are most interested in: software, hardware, networking, security. Take the necessary classes but stay open-minded and flexible. You will (as in any career) need to pay your dues and do things probably not high up on your goals and objectives list.

You have an advantage - just asking questions is a good sign. Keep it up.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.