Question Questions about matching the memory speeds of the RAM sticks and the CPU

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I am not very knowledgeable on the very technical specifications of computers like the BIOS, overclocking, and voltages. I do have a general knowledge of at least some of the processes involved in building a gaming PC, but I wish to ask a couple of questions that are intended to be general in nature regarding the memory speeds of both the CPU and RAM sticks to either confirm or correct my understanding about their interactions with each other. I am providing links to both a CPU and RAM sticks to serve as examples to my questions.

CPU:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i5-processors/i5-7600k.html
RAM:
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-...&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-.e6tKF8UBaCF4NcIRq5IlQ

As I have stated, I am not an expert in all of the complex processes and customizations of building a gaming PC. I do not overclock either. Instead, through some supervision, I try to get the maximum factory memory speeds of the CPU and RAM in addition to making sure Intel's Turbo Boost is enabled. For example, in a typical computer build, my understanding is that to get the maximum memory speed from the Intel i5-7600K, which its maximum factory memory speed support is DDR4-2400, I would get either two or more identical RAM sticks with DDR4-2400 speed such as the G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 RAM sticks. My memory is a little rusty because it has been a while since I built a PC (you can correct me if I am mistaken in the process), but my understanding is that in general, to match the memory speeds between the CPU and RAM, I have to go into the motherboard's BIOS and set the DRAM Frequency to match the CPU's maximum memory speed, which in this case is 2400 MHz.

I may be replacing my current gaming computer in the near future. I have not decided yet if I will go with an Intel or AMD CPU and a Radeon or Nvidia GPU. Again I do not overclock. I want a stable and reliable setup where the computer process speeds respond up to the maximum manufacturer designed speeds. I prefer to shell out the money out of need to upgrade components such as the GPU or adding more RAM instead of having to replace a burned out component due to overclocking.

My questions are as followed:

1. Is my understanding about matching the RAM memory speed with the max standard memory speed of the CPU to get the maximum manufacturer memory speed correct?
  2. Is the DRAM Frequency (or whatever the setting for memory speed may be called) in the BIOS of most motherboards the only setting that I would have to change in addition to enabling Turbo Boost or AMD's equivalent of Turbo Boost? If not, what additional settings would I have to change without overclocking?
  3. If necessary, in relation to the second question in question 2, what settings would I have to change in general on AMD and Intel motherboard BIOS settings to get the maximum factory memory speed?
  4. If my understanding about matching the RAM stick memory speed with the maximum factory memory speed of the CPU is correct, is there no point in purchasing RAM sticks with memory speeds rated at higher than the CPUs maximum factory memory speed such as RAM sticks rated at DDR4-3000?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

RTV-5

Reputable
Jul 7, 2019
In my experience with newer i5 and higher processors the motherboard will actually set the correct parameters automatically as it gets the information from the RAM module. As far as purchasing modules with a higher rating, they should work (although the motherboard will probably set the memory speed lower than the rated maximum in order to match the processor and bus speed on the motherboard. The only benefit of purchasing higher rated modules would be if they are somehow more cost effective (lower price) or you may want to upgrade something in the future and use these modules for that setup (future-proofing). I do it all of the time, if they cost less, etc.) Best to get speeds that match the setup that you are doing, if possible, to void any hassles with regard to compatibility). BUT as long as they are the same basic modules, notches fit, structure, etc.) then I don't see a problem. I would say go with the most economical solution.