[SOLVED] Questions About MBR/GPT Formatting For A Seagate 2TB HDD

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Hi there,

I've recently just installed a new 2TB Seagate Barracuda into my PC case about 10 minutes ago and I'm now going through the process of trying to format the new HDD so that it can I can actually start using it.
I've been following this very helpful video which describes how to format new drives here:
View: https://youtu.be/5I9cQWfSkhk

At around the 4.05 mark in this video the instructor describes the formatting process but also suggests to format the disk using GPT rather than MBR as it is more modern.
However, the boot drive in my PC that I've been using for the last 8-9 years is a 1TB Barracuda and I've just discovered now that it was formatted in MBR and not GPT. I think I can only use BIOS on my boot drive from what I can remember when I first installed Windows on it years ago.

I'm wondering would it still be okay for me to format the new 2TB HDD that I've just installed inside my PC case in GPT(as it's supposed to be a more modern technology) even though my boot drive has been formatted in MBR? There wont be any issues with using separate HDD's that have their own respective partitioning technologies? I have a socket 1155 motherboard.
My specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel i5 2500
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Brendan

Last edited: